User reviews Galaxy Book2 Windows on Arm

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by mgerbasio, Dec 4, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You should have read the version before I simplified it... I'll see if I can take a clear picture later today. :thumbsup:

Edit: ha, nice reference to the Surface Z. I thought you were referring to today's sketch of the Book2 in Netflix mode.

Marty likes this.
  2. JoeS

You ask, we answer. The picture below is the tablet lying face down, showing the lower rear side of the tablet with the kickstand open by about 120 degrees. When you grip the tablet under the open stand, all these edges dig into your fingers. No bueno.

upload_2019-1-9_18-53-43.png

thierryb and Marty like this.
  3. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Microsoft already said: Shell extensions need to be nativ, x86 don't work on ARM64.

4. JoeS

I guess I need to study up on what classifies as shell extension. Another thing I didn't knew I needed when I bough this new Windows tablet.. :rolleyes:

Not really complaining, I knew I was in for a somewhat beta experience. So far I'm pretty impressed. I mostly use it for couch surfing tbh, so the ARM limitations don't get in the way much. Great Netflix machine. Big change from before: now I absolutely love it when an episode cuts to black.

upload_2019-1-12_13-45-37.png

desertlap likes this.
  5. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

The only things that bug me a litte about that device is: the weight and also the back of it. It's pretty slippery compared to a Surface Pro device.
    And maybe a bit the screen brightness. To have the best expierence with it I need to set it to 50% min.

Other than that, it's great. Before I bought the Galaxy Book2 I had the NovaGo and in terms of performance (of x86 apps) its really night and day.

Did you try out the arm64 beta version of firefox yet? There's also vlc desktop arm64 already.

JoeS likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

One of my all time favorite movies... :)

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

Totally agreed on the slipperiness. Picking it up as a tablet, it always feels a bit precarious because it's so dense and so slippery. Haven't tried Firefox yet, I'm all in on Edge. Thanks for the tip on VLC, that's great.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 4:53 PM
  8. JoeS

First time using the Book2 for an extended period of time. Working outside in the shade with the screen at 50% - plenty for good visibility - after 1.5 hours working on a huge Word doc plus quite a bit of Edge browsing, the battery indicator says I still have nine hours left. I have a feeling this battery will outlast my ability to work. Love it.

Edit: stray observation: the slick round pen strongly attaches to the metal table outside the Starbucks. Book2 and Starbucks, a match made in heaven.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  9. johnnobts

johnnobts Pen Pal - Newbie

can someone with galaxy book2 tell me if the shadow.tech cloud pc app works on it for them? I think there's a 64-bit and 32-bit version of the program.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I find it so odd, that this pen isn't for sale as a standalone item yet.