User reviews Galaxy Book2 Windows on Arm

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by mgerbasio, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Finally had a chance to pick mine up from the mail room. Observation 1: hmm, it's indeed pretty heavy. Observation 2: the seller hadn't reset the device, so I can report that from starting the reset (without 'deep cleaning' of the files) to the logon screen took 45 minutes. Otherwise, so far so good. :thumbsup:

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

dying to know what you think of the new pen....yes i'm a nerd....

3. JoeS

To my great shame, I hadn't yet tried it!! First quick impression in Drawboard without pressure sensitivity: the feel of the tip on the glass is perfect for me, nice low activation pressure, just the right amount of friction while writing. The tip impact on the glass is very quiet, I vastly prefer this over the original Apple Pencil.

Downside: like the Apple Pencil the pen has a shiny plastic body = slippery. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be a huge problem due to the low weight of the pen and the low activation force. Another minor downside: the eraser tip on the back of the pen is a bit loose, meaning it rattles a bit when you write. So oddly while writing the most noise doesn't come from the tip, but from the eraser!

Warning: rant incoming.. Also not great: they again did their best to make the secondary button on the side IMPOSSIBLE to locate by feel. Come on guys! Doesn't the single first product tester tells you that this is a bad choice? It's the same color as the rest of the pen, is perfectly flush with the pen body, it has exactly the same texture (as in shiny smooth), and is surrounded by a half-mm gap. Honestly, when I started writing this post I thought it didn't have a secondary button.. Time to grab my arts and crafts box and mod the Wacom pen of a $1000 device?

As for issues with pointer drift etc, testing with the keyboard detached the hover cursor tracks the pen very well across most of the screen. It looks like I need a slight recalibration because the pointer hides behind the pen on the left side of the screen. The only issues are in the lower left and right corners, say within a quarter of the taskbar height from the corner. So very close to the corner. There I see truly weird cursor drift. I can see the cursor make a little loop as I move left to right, how is that even possible? :D But it's far enough in the corner that I think I'll be OK.

Still, for $500 I shouldn't complain :)

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

i'm convinced Samsung doesn't have product testers/focus groups CONVINCED!

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

Some thoughts on software: after resetting the tablet to a clean Win10, I see that it's Win10 Home, not Win 10S. Is this expected behavior if the previous user had already switched out of S mode? I guess it would make sense.

Glitch #1: seeing that it's in Win10 Home mode, I tried to install BatteryBar. No luck. Installation went fine, but it doesn't appear as an available toolbar after install.

Edge performs great though, as do the Netflix app and Drawboard.

Edit: one comment on the screen: it looks gorgeous, but tilting the screen up by say 30deg or down by maybe 15deg causes a major color shift towards the green. Those deep blacks though.. (drool)

Comment on the keyboard: on my unit the keys remain active even when the keyboard is flipped back. Bug or feature? Edit: it appears by design, works the same on all units. Bad design though..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. JoeS

Hot tip to Surface style convertible makers (that includes you Microsoft..): look at the ergonomics of your device with the stand closed, AND with the stand open. The Book2 is a cornucopia of ridges and sharp edges when the stand is open. Quite unpleasant to hold.

The biggest real problem with the device imo is this issue with the keyboard remaining active while it's folded back. If anyone knows of a setting or registry fix for that, please let me know.

jhoff80 likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't know for sure, but battery bar may rely on intel power management tech. Obviously, since this is an ARM device, that could be the issue.

ALSO if you have any windows 7/8/10 pro key that isn't being used, you can use it to upgrade the machine to 10 pro.

JoeS likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

By coincidence, I just recently picked up my old EP121, and if there's one thing it's got, it's sharp edges baby...and I love them.

Seriously, it's like somebody at ASUS said, "You know what? Screw the chamfer! Let's see how razor precise we can mill the edge." And boy did they succeed...any sharper and I might actually be tempted to shave with it. :D

And it all makes for a wonderfully tactile grip.

The way it digs into your palm and fingers...it's oddly satisfying. The security—the bond—you feel with the tablet at all times. I've never been able to get it anywhere else!

(Am I sounding half-crazed/half-masochist? Good. That's how I know I belong here. :))

thatcomicsguy, JoeS and DRTigerlilly like this.
  9. JoeS

To each their own :) The problem with the Book2 (and the Surface line) is that right under the open stand (in the hinge area) near the edge there are these squarish mounting blocks that dig into your fingers when you grab the tablet. Samsung expanded on this by leaving a thin sharp ridge along the tablet edge. That nicely hides the stand edge when closed, but when open the ridge is unpleasant to the touch. All in all not great ergonomically speaking imo. But hey, you might love it!

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually, it's all a bit hazy trying to picture this.

(Could be the after-effects of experiencing that blissful stab-iness of my old tablet :p)

Maybe a photo or a "JoeS patented" sketch might help me out. ;)

JoeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.