User reviews Galaxy Book2 Windows on Arm

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by mgerbasio, Dec 4, 2018.

1. KJA79

KJA79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, it's incredibly frustrating. Luckily all my files are backed up in One Drive and I have an SD Card in the device for others.

I'm still using S Mode Windows so I can't run a command prompt or Powershell, that tricked the windows support tech as well.

Since I posted I ran a full reset of Windows and still the same, Store won't load and OneNote crashes, next option is a complete wipe of the device.

I tried the power button option above, I get a message to release the button while it does some sort of cleanup with a %, is this the integrity check you meant? After the reboot still no difference, Store won't load.

2. KJA79

KJA79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, I've now done a complete wipe and reinstall and still the Store App won't open.

I guess I'll have to contact Samsung for a warranty replacement.

3. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Why not see if full windows helps?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Huh, that's weird! A hardware or firmware problem that interferes with specific apps? I can't even think of a way that would happen. Either way, a replacement sounds like a good plan.

5. KJA79

KJA79 Pen Pal - Newbie

I need to access the Store to turn off S Mode, so stuck in a circular reference.

6. KJA79

KJA79 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I've done some more digging, nothing to lose at this point.

The Store is logging an error in Application Logs, any ideas what the below means?

Faulting application name: WinStore.App.exe, version: 11906.1001.24.0, time stamp: 0x5d4234e7
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.719, time stamp: 0x7588c501
    Exception code: 0x060c201e
    Fault offset: 0x00067431
    Faulting process id: 0x3240
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d55aeafe1f0521
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11906.1001.24.0_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore.App.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 8153d391-a671-472f-88c8-65edf82ba31f
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.WindowsStore_11906.1001.24.0_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Faulting package-relative application ID: App

7. KJA79

KJA79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay so I was able to get up and running again.

This time I reinstalled using the original image that came with the tablet, I left the LTE and Wifi off so no updates were installed during setup.

Once the initial setup stuff was complete I could open the Store and OneNote with no crashing.

I then turned LTE and Wifi back on and installed all the updates and patches, so far so good.

That's a day I'd like to get back!

thierryb and JoeS like this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's great!. I was just getting ready to respond with another idea but you are good. Just as an additional piece of info, Lenovo which is the other company making a WOA device suggested to us to TURN OFF automatic updates from the store.

They suggest that you go through windows update first to check for any patches and then after that's done, go to the App store and check for any updates there.

The rational is that WOA is still really new and that some companies are releasing updates that they test out for X86 machines, but that inadvertently break WOA specifically if it requires the X86 emulation for any function. Many supposedly native WOA apps still use other windows functions that are still X86. It's rapidly getting better, and the new 8CX systems will accelerate app makers getting their apps fully native, but we aren't quite there yet.

Glad you are back up and running.

9. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

I just had a similar problem on a Lenovo Miix 630 where the Store closed with no error message. I solved it by doing a Fresh Start listed in the Security Center. Why that is different from a Reset (which didn't solve it) I don't know. Wasted a lot of time that's for sure.

Terry

10. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

Aww heck, I have the same issues as above. Windows store and Netflix won't open but at least my onenote, mail, and edge work. I am also in S mode. I have the computer setup the way I like it and don't exactly want to reset it. Does anyone here think that over time a fix could be developed and pushed, perhaps through a windows update? I realize with the windows store not working, I won't get updates to my apps so that's a bummer but I only use this computer for light browsing and work so it's not extremely important for me to have the newest updates, etc... Any thoughts would be appreciated, even if the suggestion is to do a reinstall/fresh start.

*edit - I see that 1903 is available for download and install. I am going to try that before doing a fresh start (if that's what I inevitably need to do). Fingers crossed!

JoeS likes this.