User reviews Galaxy Book2 Windows on Arm

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by mgerbasio, Dec 4, 2018.

1. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

It took 7-9 months to get Windows 10 1809, I lost count. I wouldn't be looking for the latest update anytime soon.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You're saying checking daily is too much? :D

If the hang-up is Qualcomm's own wifi implementation, you'd think they'd work very hard on fixing it. Jump starting the WOA market could get them quite a few more device sales.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I’m afraid Microsoft is in the woa-is-me mode.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So an update (pun intended :) ) on 1903. I still haven't seen it on either of our lab machines, but.... (and I want to emphasize that this is pure speculation by me) we saw the new Galaxy Book S briefly yesterday and it was running an insider build of windows that wasn't 1903 but a couple of builds beyond.

So I'm thinking that maybe they are waiting for the formal release of the Book S and will release it all at the same time. This makes sense to me as the 8CX in the Book s is really just a more powerful version of the one in the GB2

5. JoeS

Interesting. Still a little odd, it doesn't seem like there would be any technical reason for 'holding back' the feature update for another model if they solved the wifi issue. Which by the way is now almost three months late! Thanks for keeping us/me posted by the way, much appreciated!

6. KJA79

KJA79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys

Not sure where to post this, seems to be the most active Galaxy Book2 forum on the web, I've been enjoying mine for the last few months.

That was until tonight.

I went to use OneNote, which I use on a daily basis, and it crashed every time I went into my personal notebook. I tried resetting the app, it prompted me after about the fourth crash, and that didn't work.

Then I thought I'd check for updates in the Windows Store, or at least try and reinstall, which is when I found the Microsoft Store app won't open at all. I get the blue splash screen and then it crashes out with no error messages.

I googled around, and tried all the suggestions I could find about deleting app caches, and resetting the app, clean boots etc. Still didn't work.

Then I reset Windows 10, and still no joy, with the added frustration of now missing apps and extensions in Edge, which I can't reinstall because the Store App still won't load.

I even tried chatting with Microsoft Technical Support, which was also no use they just tried all the support steps I'd already done. Then made the useful decision to reboot my Tablet in the middle of the support chat which logged them out.

Does any one have any ideas??

I'm thinking I have no choice now but to fully reset my tablet and reinstall windows, because as it is right now it's useless to me.

7. JoeS

Welcome to TPCR! Sounds like a super frustrating issue, I hope you have at least backed up all your personal files and notebooks. Did you already try running sfc? See here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

There’s also a way to re-register all UWP apps using PowerShell, see here: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
    From that page I would stick with the built-in Win10 tools (options 1 and 2), the 3rd option is ‘freeware’, but you never know if those are really safe.

8. desertlap

I think the app framework may have gotten clobbered.

This is a long shot, but I'd suggest hard crashing the machine. e.g. hold down the power button until the machine hard powers down. You might have to do it a couple of times, but the integrity check may trigger the windows repair function.

Like I said, a long shot, but better than installing windows from scratch. Good luck

9. JoeS

Interesting, is that different from sfc? And not something that can be started by the user through software, like in the 'reset this PC' section from settings?

10. desertlap

It's unique to WOA and there isn't a consumer facing tool to access it (because you could permanently brick your machine) . The recovery routine that I'm trying to trigger is chipset based, after that the Windows tools should kick in.

JoeS likes this.