User reviews Galaxy Book2 Windows on Arm

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by mgerbasio, Dec 4, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

SAMSUNG - GIVE US AN INTEL i5 GB2 WITH 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, AND UNLOCKED LTE!
    It is rumored Samsung monitors these threads so I am spreading this everywhere.

gobmonster likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's now almost a month after the 5/21 rollout of Windows 10 update 1903, and still no peep on when to expect this for WOA / WOS devices. So one user review is: with a WOA device you'll be completely in the dark on when your device may receive a feature update.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Kind of like Android users and their phones...I guess ARM is ARM...

4. JoeS

Almost. There it’s manufacturers being lazy and cheap rather than Google. Here it’s Microsoft itself not even being willing/able to put in the effort needed to release the update along with the x64 version. Great job getting people to believe that this is NOT going to be the next RT.. /s

dstrauss likes this.
  5. Exodusru

Exodusru Pen Pal - Newbie

I tested my luck and got 1903 build with windows insider scheme. So far all work good and I don’t have any issues with WiFi. Additionally if I flip back the keyboard cover the keys turn off and don’t have the issue people have been complaining here. Happy to answer any questions you have)

Ps. I tried the arm version of the new edge and it rocks)) I recommend to wait the official beta version due to some loading issues with web sites.

6. JoeS

That sounds fantastic. I hope you're right and that the Samsung rep that spoke to @desertlap didn't know what he was talking about! Now I really can't wait for 1903. Thanks for posting.

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok I got some clarification from one of the engineers and not our rep.

Apparently there still are wifi issues with 1903 on ARM but they aren't universal and occur with only certain mostly business grade access points (meraki and Cisco specifically). At this point all involved are aware of the issues and the hold up is actually Qualcomm (who makes the chipset).

So after seeing the post above, I switched our lab device over to the 1903 build through the dev channel.

The results are mixed. With the Meraki's we use in the office, the connection is unstable e.g. in some cases sitting less than 10 feet from the access point, it drops connections frequently or throughput is very slow (under 1Mbps)

Connecting to a consumer level ORBI, no issues at all. Fast and stable.

Connecting to a Netgear nighthawk series router/access point, commonly provided by consumer ISPs, the connection is stable but throughput is low (about 15Mbps) compared to my surface go which can hit 45Mbps sitting right next to the GB2 on the same table.

My $02. , try it if you know you what you'll be connecting to and are ok with the possible issues, otherwise wait for the official release.

PS: I can't replicate the success with the keyboard being disabled when flipped behind. They still register keystrokes. I have no idea what the difference would be.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

Thanks as always for the inside scoop! As for risking an insider build, tbh I have no idea what routing hardware the eduroam network uses (roaming network for students visiting different universities), so for now I’ll just sit tight.

I have to say, now that I have Edge Chromium and Cisco VPN on the device, it’s basically a complete solution for me, there are no major missing capabilities as far as I’m concerned. Sure I wish it was lighter with fewer sharp corners, and had (gasp!) an IPS LCD screen, but it just works, and it keeps on workin’ for hours and hours. So despite my misgivings about the update uncertainty, I’ll keep an eye out for future WOA systems.

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know @Marty disagrees but I think WOA is the future for the ultramobile sector of windows devices. It's the closest they come to the long battery life , instant on and reliable LTE that is part of the virtue of Apples iPads.

Plus it's inherently more secure than intel based windows.

I'm almost certain we will see an ARM based Surface Go at a minimum from MS in the near future.

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

artistebot likes this.