User oriented subforums

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by MrMark, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMark

MrMark Pen Pal - Newbie

Niches...

Tablets are useful for various separate purposes; different sets of users are looking for different sets of features. They're all lumped together under the term 'Tablet PC' but we know we're not looking for the same thing at all. On the forum, it's a signal::noise issue. There must be lots of similar threads from each set of users but they're all jumbled up together and it's not easy to tell one from another without spending lot of time reading through a bunch of irrelevant material. How about giving each set of users a sub forum?

For instance, my primary interest in Tablet PCs is for digital painting; I want a mobile digital canvas. My requirements and interests are significantly different to those looking for a machine for writing notes in lectures, different again to someone wanting a touch screen gaming device or a touch screen office computer, and entirely different someone in the market for an uber PDA/surrogate iPad (ie. the mainstream 'Tablet PC' market). But when I got here I found it hard to find the signal in the noise, of posts from users like me, in the sea of posts from users who are judging their hardware by different criteria. I want to go somewhere where there are just people with similar interests to me talking about stuff I'm interested in.

The same goes for reviews of specific products. For example, I'm only interested in what a reviewer has to say about the ASUS Eee Slate EP121 or the Lenovo X220t if their analysis and criteria are closely related to my own; if the reviewer isn't running the programs I want to use in the way I want to use them with a critical eye on the things I'm looking for then it's not especially useful to me. There must be loads of digital artists out there in the market for a digital sketchpad or canvas, let alone among all the other user niches. Please help us find each other and share our thoughts, experiences and advice!

Subforums by niche

iPad + Android, PDA thingies, etc.
    Writing, note taking, ultra mobile office
    Presentation device
    Touch screen gaming
    Art and design - digital painting

Or something along similar lines...

In each forum a sticky thread with news and a regularly updated FAQ including links to relevant hardware in various price categories. Discussions on user experience, questions and advice from likeminded users therein. :)

2. MrMark

MrMark Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, that was a bit wordy. What I really want;

A sub forum for artists who use tablet PCs.

There is currently no such thing on the internet. It would be so helpful! I'm fed up of all the shallow reviews that don't address the main issues I'm interested in.

Or, failing that, a sticky thread in the "What Tablet PC Should I Buy?" forum specifically for artists by artists.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I completely agree, and personally would rather a whole different site for the new 'entertainment tablets' (basically everything that lacks a Active digitizer pen of some kind -at the very least having the section for the ipad and android tabs, as well as the 'news' section having numerous posts on them just invites spammers). But realistically that can't be done, so you would just have to wait for the next fad to take the populaces by storm and the entertainment tablets to fade away (a while ago it was 17" laptops, then netbooks, and now the entertainment tablets), enough on that...

I have thought about how an artists section could be done as well, and the best I could come up with was either a new section under "The Tablet PC Life" or simply a out in the open section right under the 'General' section (NBR has tons of sections under 'Hardware, Software and Accessories' section -that is basically their 'General' section- including gaming, networking and modifications, so it wouldn't be out of the question for a art/ artists sub forum here)... threads such as "current recommended artist Tablet PC's" as well as artist's impressions and comparisons [including reviews 'by artists for artists'] would all be very helpful stickies, and this could potentially bring more activity from artists (but even still it would likely get some clutter from the entertainment tablet crowd... unless you have the section be 'Artists: Digital Art on Pen Based Tablet PC's' so that the posts about 'entertainment tablets' could be moved to a section where it is more relevant ;) -if you catch my drift)

I think it would still be best to have either: artists post in the regular 'What Tablet PC should I buy" section; but the best would be [if there were an artists subforum] to have a sub-forum under it like 'Artists: What Tablet PC should I buy' so there is only relevant and easy to find info for artists in the same place... but we have been discussing what to change/ update about the form for the "What Tablet PC should I buy' section, and potentially creating a web based application survey that would take a user's answers and use it to recommend a few different Tablet PC's. or to have a massive web based 'wiki' of sorts that would cover as many aspects of the old and new Tablet PC's, and give users a good idea of what is out there.... there is a lot that can be done, but for now we are stuck with what it is

After all, Artists (even the ones that only do digital art on the side) are in the majority of people that show interest on this site for Tablet PC's so it would only make sense to have a section for it, especially with it being very involved with the hardware and software, as well as how to use both properly... we also have a plethora of professional artists and 'armature' artists all of which have used several different Tablet PC's and know very well the capability of different ones/ ect...

It also looks like you didn't quite find your answer in your last postings in the What Tablet PC should I buy section... if you want to continue from that thread, or create a new one (or even just PM me) then it would be fine

4. MrMark

MrMark Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Agent 9, thanks for the reply, very glad to hear you're on the case. :)

It's not that I didn't find my answer - I had some very helpful replies which I very much appreciate. It's just that I carried on down the rabbit hole of research and have been saving up for the best I can afford. Right now I'm looking for a used/refurbished x200/x201.

I'll continue this conversation later on in a relvant place.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Thank you for your suggestions MrMark, we're keeping them in mind as we seek to provide our users with a better experience.

6. Taikero

Taikero Pen Pal - Newbie

Just want to add that I think this is a great idea. Currently, I feel like I'm only seeing a fraction of what's available by checking my favorite vendors' forums. It would be nice to be able to see what's popular for a given task or function.

Personally, I'd be most interested in the "writing, note taking, ultra mobile office" category. I get snippets of this from tablet PC life and the lenovo/HP boards, but I feel like the discussion is highly fragmented when it's entirely device-oriented and not function-oriented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.