Use Thinkpad 8 for VGA output via microHDMI?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by markj, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

I was planning on using my Think 8 tablet for presentations and such and thus got myself a micro HDMI -> HDMI -> VGA adapter but however no matter what I try I get no VGA output. Using micro HDMI -> HDMI works fine and thinking it should be possible to get HDMI -> VGA output since there are a lot of adapters, micro HDMI -> HDMIanyone tried this and got it to work?

2. RainmanP

RainmanP Pen Pal - Newbie

Mark, I see no reason why it should not work. The TP8 is a Windows 8 PC capable of pretty much anything any other Win8 desktop or laptop of similar speed can do. It sounds like something having to do with the adapter. I assume you have any required software. What about drivers. Sorry for a less than satisfactory response, but I am puzzled, too. Have you researched just general issues with using an HDMI to VGA adapter? Perhaps call support for the specific adapter?

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HDMI is a digital standard. VGA is an analog standard. The adaptor has to convert from one to the other in order for it to work. Some adaptors/cables (e.g. this one) assume that the conversion is done in the connected equipment, and so won't work in your scenario, since your TP8 just pumps out HDMI digital, while your VGA project/VGA monitor assumes it will be getting an analog signal.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015