usb sync workaround?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista OS' started by Mydixiwrecked00, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Mydixiwrecked00

Mydixiwrecked00 Scribbler - Standard Member

i do alot of line work on my tablet before i transfer it to my work desktop. this task involves alot of cutting and pasting files and folders to a usb drive and sometimes back again. id optimally like to have the drive sync every time i stuff it in the usb so the newest copy of the folder/ files is transfered back and forth tween the usb and my tablet. once it gets to the desktop i just treat the usb as an external drive... i tried using the sync center in vista and it will only recognize my thumbdrive as a portable music device even when i change its properties. i messed with file sharing and the lot.. no dice. what am i missing here? is there a workaround? i really dont mind if i have to load a 3rd party app as long as i dont have to open it every time i want to hotsync... that makes the entire process pointless and i might as well just cut and paste files... anyone got any ideas?

the tablet is a tx2500 running vista...

thumbdrive is a 8gb sandisc cruiser running mojo pac( can reformat if needed)

the desktop is a sled running window nt. (im not tryign to sync a relationship with the usb to this machine)

thanks for any help..

2. primexx

primexx Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know how you can keep your USB in sync, but there's a lot of online sync programs that can keep files on your two computers in sync automatically.

I use Dropbox, there's others like sugarsync, jungle disk, syncplicity, etc...

You might also want to check out Windows Live Mesh/Window Live Sync, I forgot which but one of them should give you unlimited sync because it transfers directly from one computer to another.

here's a list on wiki there's a list on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_online_backup_services

3. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Try Microsoft's SyncToy it's free and designed just for the scenario you speak of.

4. Mydixiwrecked00

ill give it a spin. thanks

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Do you have Office Ultimate, or more specifically, do you have MS Groove? I use mine to sync folders between my tablet and desktop. It does it online continuously. I don't always want it to sync, so I only turn on Groove when I want it to sync. The only time I've had sync issues is when I've edited files on both computers within minutes of each other, but then it just makes duplicates instead of losing data.

I know it's not what you're specifically asking for, but I have yet to find a usb solution that I could recommend to anyone I don't hate.

6. Mydixiwrecked00

im not wanting online copys or syncing between two computers.... i just want to be able to sync my usb with my work folder on my tablet...automatically, without having to open anything. would like it to run automatically every time the usb is stuffed in the slot similar to activesync with my cell. the reason for this is i dont always use the same work computers but always start on my tablet and end up transfering with the same usb stick..

and yes groove is on my tablet