USB port problems with TP2

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Techgeek32, Jan 4, 2013.

1. dpends

dpends Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried using the devices through a powered USB hub?

2. 150pilot

150pilot Pen Pal - Newbie

I have just successfully used my external 1TB USB hard drive and external USB DVD burner by plugging them into a USB "Y" cable. One of the other ends of the cable gets plugged into the TPT2 and finally the other gets plugged into a standard USB power adapter similar to what comes with most smart phones or even the TPT2 itself. Both the HDD & DVD burner were recognized and worked properly. This is a workaround at best, but at least is better than nothing. Hopefully Lenovo can put out an update that will allow the single USB port to output more power and this will not be necessary.

This is my USB DVD burner and the USB cable that came with it is the one making everything possible. I did have to use a mini USB to micro USB adapter to make it work with my USB 3.0 1TB ext. HDD though. Hope this helps some of you out there:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151262

P.S. I haven't tried a powered USB hub yet but I am thinking that it should work similar to what I rigged up.

Examples of cable:
    Example #1

Example #2

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  3. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

This means not only we have to carry the cabe every where, also that "every where" needs to have power outlet.

4. 150pilot

150pilot Pen Pal - Newbie

I know it is not this is not a resolution of this issue, but it may help someone out there looking for any way to use an ext. drive with their new tab. I need to carry a cable with my USB drive anyway, might as well be this one. And I usually have a power adapter of some sort to charge my phone and in a pinch the TPT2's own power supply will work to power the ext drive. This allows me to not have to return my tablet. I am still holding out hope that that Lenovo will be able to come up with a better firmware solution.

5. MobileHG

MobileHG Pen Pal - Newbie

Lucky that I read up on this, I had my Acer W510 with me ready to return on Saturday when I was exchanging my Samsung Smart PC Pro 700T due to defective keyboard dock and lint behind the screen. So for now I came back with my Acer W510. I still have till the 20th to return the Acer W510 since they have the extended Holiday return.

6. mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Pen Pal - Newbie

I am glad to see that worked. I have also ordered a 10 foot USB cord with a male USB connector on one end and, and a micro usb connector on the other, so that I can have a little more distance from the plug when charging. My self-powered dvd burner has two usb plugs, so I was going to use a USB extender cable to connect one of the plugs it to an A/C adapter, and it appears your solution shows that would work.

7. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

That is great that yours worked. My LG slim burner has a Y cable but would not work with one end plugged into an outlet with the TP2 power adapter. it would spool up but still not enough power to install software. I dont have a special cable for my Seagate 3.0 USB HDD, so I cant test that. It makes sense that it is a power issue, but that makes me think that cant be fixed through software. That seems like an engineering decision to accommodate small size.

8. Techgeek32

could you show the cable you used to get your USB 3.0 HDD to work? Thanks.

9. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually the tablet's USB port can output 500mA current which should be enough to power external drives. I believe the actual software/firmware is to blame as it may not be allocating enough current to the USB when it is active.

10. manuelcalavera

How did you figure that out ? Through an application or you did that via hardware tools?

11. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

Device Manager --> USB --> Power

12. manuelcalavera

I dont think thats accurate. They can tweak what it shows. I think using third party apps would be more reliable. The best way is to use some electronic tools too indicate the output power manually.

13. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Just for reference , I have seen a USB power warning on my 500T on one occasion, plugging in my Lumia 920. Scary. Restarting both devices removed the error. Are you guys (TPT2 users) also getting a dialog with a warning regarding the USB power being insufficient?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  14. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sigh, my Asus slim DVD doesn't work, and that's with a Y cable with one end plugged into the wall. It keeps spooling up then dying and so on. On a good note my Logitech USB mouse works just fine. I still find it very hard to believe that Lenovo went to the trouble of advertising the usb port as working when in reality it would not.

15. Techgeek32

Good news. I purchased a small powered USB 2.0 4-port hub and all of my devices connected fine through the hub, so this supports my theory that having the TP2 desktop dock will allow for all peripheral connections. Still not optimum, because you have to purchase a powered hub and carry that with you. It might create problems if you need to connect a HDD and aren't near a power outlet. Bottom line is that Lenovo bungled this device and I am still going to return mine, just wanted to share my experience.

16. manuelcalavera

Lenovo has not responded to this matter. I suggest to make this problem public. Tipping the blogs and websites about this problem earns Lenovo's attention. Imagine what would happen to Lenovo after some blog posts like "TPT2 is not a PC".

Any idea ?

17. Burd

Burd Pen Pal - Newbie

Quoting the Thinkpad Tablet 2 datasheet pdf from their website:

Expansive use of USB accessories
    • The ThinkPad® Tablet 2 comes with a full-size USB port and
    supports all Microsoft® Windows® drivers to connect to external
    USB drives, monitors, printers, cameras, DVD burners,
    mice and keyboards.
    • In addition, with the ThinkPad enterprise dock, users can
    support up to 3 USB devices at a time in addition to a full-size
    HDMI out port and audio and power ports.

No mention of restricting the types of devices or requiring a powered hub for use without dock.
    Sounds like what they are selling vs. what they have been delivering are two different things.
    Will be interesting to see how Lenovo handles this.

18. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

19. manuelcalavera

I posted the same post in the Lenovo's forum and the Admin deleted it.

20. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member