USB port problems with TP2

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Techgeek32, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to install WordPerfect on the tablet using an older Sony powered external usb DVD drive. That would seem to be the best solution, if you have one of those older powered drives hanging around.

A newer, self powered burner would not work, whether the tablet was on battery or external power.

2. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

what is the voltage of the power adapter that comes with tpt2? Probably the voltage is too low for some external hdd?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  3. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

My understanding is that usb stick should work.

4. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got a TPT2 on the way (should arrive Tuesday) and I'm going to try two ideas to use a DVD drive. First, my external USB DVD drive has a "Y-style" USB cable (so it can hook up to two USB ports for more power), and I'll try one connector into the tablet and the other into a USB/AC adapter for power to see if that works. Otherwise, I will network share my desktop's DVD drive to the tablet to install software via the network. The only software I need to load via DVD is Adobe Creative Suite, so I should be able to make do. I will report back if I either approach works.

5. sbl

sbl Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried to connect a powered Seagate hd but my tpt2 had no response. I saw a post on Lenovo community said his tpt2 could detect usb devices after reinstall windows 8 enterprise. I was surprised.

6. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried that with my fairly new LG Dvd burner and it would at least spool up but the TP2 still couldn't read or detect it. Hope you have better luck. My biggest problem is that my company purchased several hundred Seagate USB 3.0 external hard drives for us to use when we travel. They are not powered and will not work with the TP2, so we are looking at other solutions. It is looking like the TP2 is just underpowered for whatever reason and if you want to use DVD burners and external hard drives they will need to have full power capability through an A/C adapter. This is ridiculous because I really like the tablet. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else.

7. Techgeek32

I don't have one unfortunately and I just did a search on Amazon. You will be hard pressed to find either a fully powered dvd burner or a fully powered external hard drive. They all run off of USB, some have the Y cable but that didn't work with my TP2, but most of the external hard drives just come with one small USB cable and no Y connector. This is crazy.

8. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

TechGeek, you probably already know this, but atom-based systems don't support USB 3.0 in any case, so you'll have to find an ivybridge tablet to take full advantage of those Seagate USB 3.0 HDDs.

9. Techgeek32

Of course i know that. they are all backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports and the bottom line is neither work with the TP2. I have yet to find a portable HDD that is powered by anything more than the USB cable they come with. Most companies are purchasin USB 3.0 devices to future proof their environment. Lenovo should have made this an RT tablet if it was not designed to complete "big boy" tasks.

10. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

What I find really gobsmacking is the official Lenovo video of unboxing the Thinkpad 2, where the official Lenovo spokesman says, in response to what can be connected to the device:

"Oh yea, external hard drives, thumbdrives"

Nope, sunshine; just thumbdrives can be connected. I am not impressed.

11. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll be speaking to Lenovo and Newegg tomorrow to see what can be done about this situation. I've already sold my Vaio Duo so I need something with a digitizer and the TPT2 has fulfilled most of my needs for the time being, except for the pesky USB issue. I don't think Newegg will do anything except allow me to return it without a restocking fee, but I don't really feel like returning it since there's nothing else on the market.

12. MobileHG

MobileHG Pen Pal - Newbie

I was very close in returning my Acer W510 yesterday but read about the USB not supporting external HD or a external DVD/CD RW. Even though I need the mini USB cable for the Acer W510, I decided to keep the W510 for now. I got a couple weeks that I can return the W510 and get the TPT2. Also would have liked that the TPT2 would charge up faster. I know that the TPT2 has the Wacom for inking, but I have the Samsung ATIV 700T for inking as I would only use the inking while in office meetings, around the house and if I was going to be working on the ATIV 700T.

13. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey, guys, I was afraid about my 500T
    I tested my 2.5" disk. And I was glad to see my files.

14. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Either Lenovo will admit the device's USB drivers are buggy, or they will -- indirectly -- admit they have committed one of the biggest blunders in the history of business-grade machines.

15. Techgeek32

I have never heard of Lenovo admitting any wrongdoing on any of their products. Has anyone received the desktop dock yet? My theory is that while the TP2 is docked it will probably allow the connection of DVD burners and external HDD's, but that kind of defeats the purpose if I have to carry that huge desktop dock and gigantic charging brick with TP2 and keyboard in my briefcase. I thought the marketing behind these tablets was to become more mobile and efficient, not less!

16. AllRED

AllRED Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you think this can be solved with a firmware or driver upgrade or Lenovo completely f'ed it up?

17. Techgeek32

I doubt it. This appears to be a hardware shortcoming. We will soon find out.

18. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm having a hard time believing Lenovo would make a blunder as bad as this one. I'm holding out hope a firmware or software update fixes this, why else would they openly advertise it as working with drives.

19. Techgeek32

Really. You are having a hard time believing that manufacturers can really screw up a product? Look at the screen lift debacle on the Samsung Series 7 slate or the Power adapter issue with the first Zenbook. Nothing these companies do surprise me anymore. These are engineers creating these products and not the end user.

20. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

This is a total **** up. So you cannot use any USB accessories except thumbdrive, not even external HDD or optical drives that are powered on their own? If that's the case, the TPT2 is going off my list.