USB port problems with TP2

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Techgeek32, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I received my TP2 tablet for work today. I like the size and build quality, but I discovered a serious flaw. The USB port on the tablet will only accept a USB thumbdrive and not an external USB HDD or an external USB DVD/CD drive. I was going to install Office 2010 and after plugging in the non-powered DVD drive realized the TP2 was not reading it. The same thing happened when I tried my Seagate USB HDD. Both of these devices work with the Samsung 500t, 700t, ASUS 810 and the Envy x2. I contacted Lenovo tech support and sure enough, the TP2 does not have the power to run these external devices. I was told the only way they would work is if the TP2 is docked in the $100 external desktop dock and the external devices would have to run through that. I also tried to plug in my ThinkPad USB keyboard and that doesn't work either. What good is a built in USB port if it can only be used for a thumbdrive? This is an absolute deal breaker for my company because we would need to connect to these type of external devices in the field and there is no way we are lugging that huge desktop dock around just to use simple USB peripherals.

Ours are going back and we will have to decide on a different tablet. Certainly Lenovo tech support could be wrong, but we have tested on several tablets and no go. I can't even load Office because there aren't any desktop docks in stock to order anyway. Hopefully you guys are having better luck, but if you haven't tried to connect these types of external devices and will need the capability I would suggest testing it now before your return Window runs out.

2. mattalter

mattalter Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm this is happening as well on mine. Kinda of surprised. Usb keys work but no external notebook drive.

3. philox

philox Pen Pal - Newbie

I should receive mine today, but here

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/emea/content/pdf/ThinkPad/Tablet/TABLET2DSEN.pdf

You can read this
    "The ThinkPad® Tablet 2 comes with a full-size USB port and
    supports all Microsoft® Windows® drivers to connect to external
    USB drives, monitors, printers, cameras, DVD burners,
    mice and keyboards."

Lenovo should do something to remedy this. Perhaps send a free dock.

False advertising?

4. Techgeek32

Yep. All of their videos state that as well. I don't have the time to wait for a dock just so I can install Office 2010, not to mention I use an external HDD every day. I just finished testing 3 other USB HDD's and none of them work. 2 are USB 2.0 and the other 2 are 3.0. my DVD burner is 2.0.This is ridiculous. Hope you guys have the time and patience to wait for a fix, but I don't. I thought my ASUS 810 had issues, but at least I can plug any device into it that I want.

5. Techgeek32

I just found another bug on all of the Atom W8 tablets. If you calibrate the digitizer touch settings through the Tablet PC Settings in the Desktop control panel you lose touch functioning with the W8 charm menu. If you reset the calibration for touch it starts working again. No problems on my Samsung 700t, it works fine after calibrating both. Pen calibration seems to not mess anything up on the Atom tablets though.

6. philox

philox Pen Pal - Newbie

This alone won't make me return it, since I will mostly work from thumbdrives or the cloud, but I suggest we put a list of people that got the tpt2 together and collectively complain of this deficiency. The least they can do to remedy this is to send a free dock.

7. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

What about mice ?

8. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Did you try plugging your external HD to a power outlet? Maybe the TPT2's USB cannot power the drive, but if the drive is getting power from the wall outlet, it would work. Not ideal, but less worse....

9. Techgeek32

I don't use USB mice so cat answer that. Lenovo will not give free $100 docks to anyone. That seems fair but that won't happen. My company will take our business elsewhere to remedy the situation. Good luck.

10. Techgeek32

None of my HDD are powered and they are all current devices. I tried a powered DVD burner it spooled up at least but still wasn't recognized by the tablet.

11. philox

philox Pen Pal - Newbie

I just called Lenovo and they will give me a free dock based on the advertisement page. The keyword here was "lawyer".

12. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

when you do this, is the tpt 2 on battery only?

13. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That sucks. I know the 500t worked perfectly with my DVD and USB hard drives, the w510 worked as well.

14. Techgeek32

Nope. Tried on battery and with power.

15. Techgeek32

That's great. It sucks that you have to threaten companies to come to a fair solution. Even with a free dock that doesn't solve the problem for us because we have to constantly connect to external HDD while traveling and there is no way I am lugging that dock around just to accomplish what all of the other W8 tablets do correctly. I hope you get your dock and that all works out.

16. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't quite understand this wording... is the problem that A) the TPT2 doesn't have the juice to power an external optical drive (my Motion LE1600 had the same problem), or B) the TPT2 is not compatible with external optical drives, even if the drive is plugged into the wall for power? If B, then that's a very serious bug, and I wonder how using the dock would help such a compatibility problem.

17. Techgeek32

What I meant was that most portable USB HDD are non powered, meaning they don't have to be plugged into an outlet before you plug them into your computer. Most of them run off of the power of the USB port on the computer. I have not tried a powered HDD, but I have tried a powered DVD burner and it did not work. My guess is that Lenovo did not give the TP2 enough power to run anything other than a USB thumbdrive. The reason the dock would be able to handle those devices is because it uses a larger power brick than the tablet. So, I don't believe it is a bug, but rather a design flaw and Lenovo marketed the product incorrectly. The problem is that most buyers want the TP2 for portability reasons and don't want to lug around the large desktop dock if they need to connect to anything other than a thumbdrive. I hope this explains what I meant more clearly.

18. joffa

joffa Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm hoping to get a 3G model if it's not going to be too long, but failing that, do you think a USB modem would work okay?

19. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

I see... your USB-powered external HDD didn't work, and your DVD burner didn't work even when running off its own power brick. Is anyone else finding that external HDDs or optical drives aren't working, even when powered by their own A/C adapter?

20. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

I really cant use an USB stick as well? Bad news for me :/. Not that I use external USB Drives, ... on the Tablet often but it would be very handy.