USB mouse connects and disconnects while in use.

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by keith11, Aug 13, 2007.

1. keith11

keith11 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi everyone,

I have this strange little problem with the usb mouse connectivity. I have tried to solve the problem with a wired as well as a wireless usb mouse but to no avail. The problems is that any usb mouse I use is frequently getting connected and disconnected while I am using it. This is very annoying and problematic too. Like now, when I am writing in a Word document, the mouse will move for a few minutes (1 or 2) and then again stop moving. The LED on the mouse is blinking. I am not able to understand what the problem is here. Did anyone have the same problem and if yes, how did you fix it? Is there any patch or fix for this problem that anyone knows of? Thanks.

Keith.

Edit: Now the mouse hardly responds. It just doesn't move no matter what usb port I plug it into.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well you've answered question one...... Does it happen in the other port as well.

Seeing as you have tried both a wired & a wireless mouse it's clear the problem isn't down to the rodent.
    So obviously you must have either a driver issue or something else is bringing in corruption.

Tell us:-
    1. Do you get any problems with any other USB hardware?

2. Is there any issues showing in Device Manager for USB items?

3. Thinking when the problem was first noticed; do you have a system restore point you can roll back to temporarily just to check it's not a compatibility issue?

3. keith11

Answers to your questions:

1. No, other USB hardware works fine. I have had my USb drive as well as a USB HD work wine. It is just the USB mouses.

2. I checked the device manager and it is clean, without any issues.

3. I noticed the problem after a day and until that time I didn't have any major installs, so the system was pretty clean so I don't think it might help to restore the system especially when I have set it the way I want it after so many tweaks here and there.

Any more suggestions? It is really annoying to type in a report or something which takes long hours and not have a mouse with me. The trackpoint is fine, but it is not the most convenient with applications like MS Word, EXCEL, etc. where you have to do a lot of pasting and formatting stuff. Is there anyone who is facing this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Keith.

4. P8RSON

Keith,
    Sorry.. I didn't mean for you to use a Restore Point on a permanent basis. Just temporary to test your system.

Don't forget, once you have done a restore, you can easily shift back to the previous setting you were originally using.

If you want to be ultra-protective ~ you can also create a NEW restore point that will retain all your present settings.

Edit: Does the same apply with your Pen?
    With your Pen held just above the screen, acting like a mouse, can you traverse the screen without any issues.

5. keith11

Yes, the pen works fine too. It's just the USB mouse. I would think it would be my mouse but I have tried two different mice, wired and wireless, and the issue appears in both the cases. I wonder if anyone else is having such problems because I have observed that if there is a problem with something in someone's X61t, there are always others who have the same problem. Not that I want someone to have this problem I am having, but it would help with their experience. I appreciate your help P8rson and I am open to more suggestions. Thanks.

Keith.

6. P8RSON

Just to be totally sure... can you plug the mouse into another machine and test it....
    I know you have tested both mice and as such this should rule out the problem being with the mice.

It's a long shot if both are playing up but the wired one may have a fault and the wireless one simply may need new batteries or require a re-sync etc. etc.

7. DJ Garcia

DJ Garcia Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using a USB trackball on mine with no problems. I am using XP though. Have you updated the Lenovo drivers? I did an update after I got my X61t last Friday as there were really recent updates available. After the update my trackball didn't work anymore. I noticed in the Device Manager that all the USB devices had the big ? - never a good sign :). I removed all of them then did a re-scan for new decies and they installed fine then.

8. P8RSON

I have to admit... once Keith has checked the mice on another machine (so we can completely take them out of the equation) I'd like to ask if Keith is running Vista.... or has updated any drivers recently ~ and we can then move on from there.

9. keith11

Yes I did the update but my device manager looks fine, without any "?". Thanks for your response.

@P8rson: Yes I used the mouse with another pc and it worked fine. So basically it boils down to this:

1. My USB ports work fine with other USB devices
    2. The USB mice work fine with other PCs but mine
    3. Any USB mouse doesn't work with my X61t

What could be wrong?

Keith.

10. keith11

Yes, I am running Vista Business and I haven't tampered with the version of the OS which came installed on the laptop. Today I noticed yet another peculiar thing: the mouse worked fine for like 10 minutes, then went dead, so I connected it to another USB port and it worked fine for some minutes and then it stopped working. This kept on happening for a while until it stopped working on any of the ports anymore. If I plug it in now on any of the ports, Vista says the device is unrecognizable and pops up a window showing two USB devices, one of them is termed unrecognizable. This is getting under my skin now especially when I really need the mouse functionality right now.

I checked under the history of updates and I don't know if this will help in analyzing the problem but this is what I found. All the updates since 08/07/07 have been installed successfully except one and it has something to do with a USB browser mouse. I am attaching the screenshot showing the message which says it failed to install the update and below the message is the error details which I opened by right clicking on message which says it failed. I have even tried rebooting the system with the mouse connected but to no avail. I tried installing the drivers for my Belkin's mouse from its website and yet no peace. Please keep your suggestions coming. Thanks.

Keith.

Attached Files: