USB Hub

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by zendude, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zendude

zendude Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone found a good discreet USB hub for mobile use with the Samsung Slate? I don't want anything with wires hanging.

This is closest thing to what I'm looking for. It would cover the headphone jack and the volume buttons. But I'm willing to give those up. Only cost $5 on amazon shipped from a vendor.

I don't know if we could do links on here but it's called the GTMax 4-Port Hub.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. VegasPat73

VegasPat73 Pen Pal - Newbie

4. zendude

zendude Pen Pal - Newbie

Got a photo with it on the Slate?

5. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

I recently purchased an s7s-a04us but it seems that due to the device having only the single integrated usb port, that I cannot reinstall Windows without a dock. I've tried, without success, using a microsdhc which I have the windows installation on in both the usb port and integrated micro sdhc reader.

From the usb port, the machine loads the windows install fine, but I can only stare at the introductory setup window because I cannot connect a keyboard to select next due to the microsdhc occupying the only available usb port.

From the integrated microsdhc reader, the windows install would not boot. My 06FW bios does not list the microsdhc reader as an available boot option.

I also tried using a powered usb hub (independent transaction translators on each channel) through which the micro sdhc and keyboard were attached. The slate would not load the windows install in this fashion either.

Any suggestions besides buying a dock?

6. DuperMan

DuperMan Pen Pal - Newbie

1. Did the USB boot into the Windows installation on another machine?
    2. I'm 75% sure you can use touch and the accessibility options' on screen keyboard to trudge through the reinstall. Will stand corrected if wrong.
    3. If you're feeling extra adventurous you could make a partition in the SSD for the windows installation and use something like EasyBCD to boot from there. This would probably work but I hardly suggest it seriously since it's too likely to get your machine funny in the boot records.

7. zendude

zendude Pen Pal - Newbie

I did a reinstall today and touch did not work until after the install was finished. I do have the dock.

Did you try to change the setting in the BIOS about Legacy USB? It was off by default. My keyboard and DVD drive was not seen until after I turned on the legacy USB support.

8. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

This model is probably identical to the one you first linked, only it's black and matches the slate. I also got mine from Fry's for $12.99. It had a sticker with the serial number on one side, which I removed with some lightly dabbed lacquer thinner. Why remove it? Because when mounted on the slate in the more subtle downward angle, the sticker is on the side facing you

EDIT: one more thing, it has a bright blue LED on the side near the bottom of the hub. much brighter than the one on the slate's power button

Space between the hub and slate: ~6mm
    [​IMG]

Flipped Down
    [​IMG]

Flipped Up
    [​IMG]

9. zendude

zendude Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the photos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.