USB-C port jammed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Jul 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The cable won't fully insert in my Tab 6 Lite. I have done the YT video recommendations running a toothpick around in there to no avail.

I can't be sure but I think some bug (use it outdoors a lot) might have walked in there and crocked and that I probably worsened the situation when I tried to use force to insert the cable (yeah, I can be impatient too). So are there any option that don't involve going to the PC store? Any spray that will dissolve a bug without harming the electronics?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's annoying. Peanut butter in yer ports! (I have friends with little kids.)

Maybe a silly question, but did you try a different cable? Maybe the problem isn't the port. Fingers crossed! (A cable is an easy fix.)

3. Kumabjorn

Tried three different cables and they all worked before and work with other devices. Something on the left side of the port but I can't see in there.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

4. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

You probably already tried it but all I can think of doing, if a toothpick or something like that isn’t getting it, is to use one of those cans of compressed air with the teeny-tiny nozzle attachment. If that won’t force the obstruction out I don’t know what will. Maybe in the final extreme I’d use a pointy X-acto blade to carefully chop and scrape the bug, alternating with compressed air.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A pin/needle would do better than a toothpick. So, you don't risk breaking the tip of the wood and compounding the problem.

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

No risk of causing electronic problems?

I've come to the conclusion that a repair shop for phones is probably the smart move.

dellaster likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

So, all well that ends well.
    Found a repair shop, turns out it was a literal bug.
    Some little creature had crawled inside the USB-C port and decided it was the perfect spot for seppuku and that explains why I couldn’t get it out with normal procedures, it had died holding on to one of the pins, Dead man’s hand has gotten a new meaning for me.