USB A to Lightning converter

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Kumabjorn, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I guess this just shows that whenever you enter a new eco-system you are just another noob. I have been very happy, and also voiced that here, with my Apple iPad Pro 9.7 as my primary carry anywhere device. So happy in fact that I decided to bring along my USB memory stick that I keep videos on. There will always be some time somewhere that I'll have a spare 30 minutes or so and could catch up on my shows. So in order to do that on my iPad I would need a USB A to Lightning converter. Hence, I happily went out to look for that today. After looking around in the first store, where I found plenty of USB C to Lightning converters (all for a few bucks) I couldn't find any USB A to L converters. Finally I had to give up and ask a clerk (don't ask me why but I consider that a personal failure) and her answer was that Apple didn't grant licenses to make such converters.
    Just to make sure I went to another store, got the same answer, and finally did a search at Amazon and couldn't find anything.
    Can this really be true? Can an organization be so myopic that it refuses to support the world standard for memory sticks? It never even occurred to me to ask about something like that when I bought the device. I just assumed there would be converters available for something so ubiquitous as USB memory. No wonder more and more Apple fans are getting discouraged.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Not only that.
    Even if you were somehow able to attach it, there wouldn't be any way to read those video files in the stick from the ipad since there's no "bridge" app installed that lets the iPad see that content.

3. Kumabjorn

All I can say is whoa. I don't get it because OS X devices go for the absolute latest in USB support. Being able to move data between a MacBook and an iPad even without internet connection is akin to a basic human right in today's world. I urge our American members to move for an amendment to the constitution.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Starlight5 and nnthemperor like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Wish I had read that an hour earlier. Just ordered one of those ridiculously expensive USB sticks with dual USB A and lightning connectors.

Balbutio ergo sum

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If it's created for the iPad it will work then. Managing the files on the usb stick with the vendor app.
    It's tedious but it works.

6. Kumabjorn

Ah, you DO need a special app to handle files. I feel like using a Trumpism; "so sad".

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.