USB 4.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

"The new spec is backward compatible with USB 3.2, USB 2.0, and Thunderbolt 3. Remember, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 are now called USB 3.2, with USB 3.0 being USB 3.2 Gen 1 (also formerly USB 3.1 Gen 1), USB 3.1 Gen 1 is now being called USB 3.2 Gen 2, and then there's USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 for 20Gbps speeds. It will use existing USB Type-C cables for two-lane operations or Thunderbolt 3 cables for 40Gbps speeds."

Got all that? Good! There will be a pop quiz on Monday.

The thing I like about USB is that I can plug a USB-shaped plug in a USB-shaped hole and it pretty much always works.

-It may not always be lightening fast, but my printer will print, my keyboard and mouse will be recognized and my memory stick will cough up a file on request. All from the same port! Let's all take a moment to appreciate how great that is. We didn't NEED to create that standard. We could have just continued to punish ourselves and we wouldn't even realize that all our lives were permanently about 2% more stressed out as a result. USB is one of the good things Humanity has done for itself. -Remember back in the olden days how printers, keyboards and mice all had completely different plugs? And memory sticks were called, "Five and a Quarter Inch Floppies" -and only worked on one computer brand at a time?

I can move media files between a PC and freaking Mac on my USB stick! Holy cow!

USB is awesome. But I don't know what any of those appended numbers mean other than "higher is better".

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    yodamiked and Kumabjorn like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From the windowscentral article...

"[...] 40 Gbps is double the current fastest speeds.

"This is accomplished by using two data channels (that's the two-lane reference) on one cable and port. The USB firmware on the devices you are connecting will be able to split the data you are transferring into two individual streams on the device sending it and put it all back together into a stream of data that the device receiving it can read correctly."

"By supporting more data protocols, USB4 will open up to more types of device data transfer. [...] That means you will be able to send a 4K HDR signal over a USB cable and use the same cable for something like transferring a file or as a connection to a Wi-Fi interface."

~~~~

Well, despite my snark, here I am learning things.

USB 4 is sounding pretty futuristic.

A friend pointed out to me today that Reality has overtaken Star Trek, TNG; they didn't have foldable screens in TNG. Therefore, the Future is Now.