USB 3.0 problem with Fujitsu T902/T732 in Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by luc, May 23, 2014.

1. UnderClock

UnderClock Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been following this thread for a while, because of a related issue (no USB 3.0/2.0 on port replicator / T902 / Win 7). In my case, it seems to be a hardware issue, because a second unit that I ordered works OK.

More in this post in the T902 thread.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. luc

luc Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info.
    Lets hope ours is not a hardware issue.
    BTW neat configuration you have on your T902, that mSata looks great!

3. luc

luc Pen Pal - Newbie

While waiting for utopian201's T732 comes back from warranty here are some new follow ups on some testings.

Don't get excited as neither worked but... what didn't worked for me may work for somebody else.
    - Someone suggested that installing this driver solved his problem, didn't worked for me though Etron Technology, Inc.
    - Replacing Microsoft drivers and installing Intel modified Windows 7 drivers manually. No luck here either. You can check details on the procedure and download the required files here: Windows 8 and Intel USB 3.0 Host Controllers | Plugable
    - Deleting a specific registry key related to LowFilter on USB controlller. No, not working.

Meanwhile i am building some special custom wings to make my T732 fly through the window.... haha, not true i love it.

4. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately I wont be able to do it for a few more weeks as I just moved country and need to find somewhere to live first! I'll keep this post updated.

5. luc

luc Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is a great confirmation that this might most certainly be a driver problem.
    This is a snapshot of the result of USBDeview for the USB 3.0 controller/port, as you will see almost nothing is recognized, device name, device type, vendor id, firmware revision, usb class, usb protocol, usb hub.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  6. UnderClock

Hi luc,

I recently had a new USB 3.0/USB 2.0-related problem with my T902 (where my USB 3.0 HDDs would connect well before).

My symptoms were as follows:
    1. - I would connect a USB 3.0 HDD (to internal or dock)
    2. - There was a Windows "USB connect" sound (OK)
    3. - BUT: No drive letter would appear (NOT OK)
    4. - When disconnecting the "USB disconnect" sound rings (OK)

I had the same thing with a USB 2.0 HDD, I must say.

At the same time, a USB 2.0 stick (pen drive) would connect normally, drive letter assigned and all. Oddly enough, I also had no problems with my external USB 3.0 Bluray writer.

The resolution (of which I am not sure if it is related to yours), was looking in Disk Management (Manage | Disk Management).

The connected drives would appear at the very bottom of the list of drives (as disk 4 and 5 in my case) with status "online" (OK) even. However, no drive letter assigned. (NOT OK)

Right-clicking and assigning a drive letter was all that was needed to fix this.

Lesson learnt from this: when investigating USB problems, there can be a difference between HDD-devices and non-HDD devices (such as pendrives and ODDs).

Found here:
    Windows 7 - Notices but does not 'see' external usb hard drive

7. luc

luc Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply UnderClock.
    Unfortunately this is not the case with my issue. I had already tried this workaround.
    Though the drives do start spinning, no connection sound is emitted on connection or disconnection of any USB 3.0 unit on the usb 3.0 port.
    No USB 3.0 device is being mounted, identified nor recognized not even on the Disk Manager or any other partition manager software (as Paragon Partition Manager)

New workaround I tried with no success (as always, what didn't worked for me might work for somebody else):
    - Tried several Renesas USB drivers and firmwares with no success. Essentially some Renesas drivers do install with some tweaking but firmwares do not, not even trying to install firmwares manually through the command line. It probably means that the T732 USB 3.0 is not Renesas/NEC but i read on someone on this forum that has installed Reneas FW on a T731 but i am unaware of his procedure to do it.

Will keep on trying whatever possible solution anybody wants to share or comes to my mind.

8. UnderClock

Sorry to hear you are still facing the issue.

Have you already tried going the path of:
    Just to rule out that it is a hardware problem?

Booting into such an OS/rescue environment is like the "lite version" of completely re-installing Windows (quite rigorous if you don't swap the internal HDD) or installing another copy of Windows on a second partition (less rigorous: have 2 OSes side by side, so keep the current Win8 until you find the solution).

9. utopian201

I have lodged a claim (my backlight died so couldn't delay the claim).
    Unfortunately I don't have a usb3.0 drive to test their suggestions with, so I will post them here as they come through. Their first suggestion was to go into the BIOS and select ADVANCED - INTERNAL DEVICE CONFIGURATIONS and check if the USB 3.0 Controller is set as ENABLED.

The first post shows this has alread been done, so I replied telling them
    It is enabled. I have also tried disabling and reenabling the USB 3.0
    controller support but it doesn't work either.
    I have also tried:
    disabling fast startup
    disabling intel rapid start technology
    disabling auto power off on the usb 3.0 port
    uninstalling and reinstalling the usb3.0 drive from device manager

(as per what luc has tried)

10. utopian201