Usable RAM on tx2500 Is Not What's Installed (64-bit OS)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by paulds8, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulds8

paulds8 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx2500 with 4GB RAM installed, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, RM-70 (2Ghz) and all the other things the tx2500 has like the HD3200,etc. I noticed a while back that even though I have 4GB RAM, my TOTAL USABLE RAM is 2812MB, this sounded a little low but at the time I just blamed the integrated graphics because in Catalyst Control Center it says that the HD3200 is using 1470MB of the RAM. However if you add these together 2812 + 1470 = 4282MB, now it obviously can't be the graphics card using up the lost RAM since 4GB is only 4096MB.

The only reason I got 64-bit Home Premium was so that I could actually use all 4GB of RAM but I can only currently use 2.75GB, this is really annoying! I've run memory tests and the RAM is OK, what could be causing this? Please tell me there is a fix! This is a clean install.

I took out the RAM and inserted only one 2GB stick at a time and in both cases the TOTAL USABLE RAM was 1788MB and the HD3200 was using 958MB. Now one should expect that if both cards were in you would get double that, i.e. 3.5GB (3584MB) RAM and 1916 MB for the graphics to share.

Please help! I had this laptop imported from America because I live in South Africa and there are no tablet PCs here. The RAM is fine, I have a 64-bit Operating System, what could it be? Something in the registry perhaps, or is this common in tx2500s? I saw another user in a different thread who said he had 4GB installed but only saw 2812MB as usable as well. I just want to sort it out, thanks for the help!

2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Actually everything is fine.

Close down all programs so that there is nothing running on the task bar.

Look in the performance tab of task manager. What does it report?

Where there is a box with a bar graph, there should be a number in green.

Then below that, you see a box labeled: Physical (MB)

Total?
    Cached?
    Free?

Likely it reports about 38xx for Total. Since some of that is used up by the video card. The HD 3200 uses 64MB of its own memory and reserves 256MB from the system RAM. That's why it'll report ~3836 - 3840MB as Total available (4096MB-256MB=3840). It can use up to ~2GB if it needs it but I can't think of any programs that would do that.

OK. with that in mind. Add the green number found in the box with the bar meter, Cached, and Free and it should be approx 4096 -a few MB less.

3. paulds8

paulds8 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can now see that this is a fairly unique problem as no one can supply a reasonable explanation, here are screen shots for you to see for yourself!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now how can this make any sense on a x64 based system?

4. alan sh

alan sh Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you sure you have 4gb? This is my system info and it shows 4gb of RAM

Alan

Attached Files:

• sys.jpg
      sys.jpg
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
  5. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

this IS extremely strange....it shows u HAVE the 4 GB RAM installed....but only access to it partially...

something wrong with the RAM slot maybe?

6. paulds8

paulds8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Both ram slots work correctly - I tested by putting only one stick in a slot and booting, the 2GB showed perfectly in both cases, but as soon as both slots are used, the computer treats the ram as a 32-bit system would! I want this fixed!

7. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

Stab in the dark: did it come with 4GB or did you buy the 2nd stick separately? Couldn't be to do with mixing types could it?

I know that it normally just defaults to the lower speed, but just a thought...

8. paulds8

paulds8 Pen Pal - Newbie

It came with the 4GB, they are identical sticks, Corsair I think, I love my tablet and have it perfectly fine-tuned to the way I want it, this is the first real problem it's given me but it's starting to really annoy me because it's not even a problem people can seem to understand and sort out! I've been living with this for a while now but seriously, I should have just paid for 3GB then...

9. alan sh

alan sh Scribbler - Standard Member

It does look as though it is running 32 bit Vista. That number is just what I got with 32 bit Vista and 4Gb of memory.

Alan

10. paulds8

paulds8 Pen Pal - Newbie

But it IS 64-bit, I want to know why my 64-bit OS is behaving like a 64-bit OS in every other way except with the RAM! How could I get around this issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.