USA wall to USB-C charger / power supply for Galaxy Book Flex? (Korean unit))

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by njweb, May 14, 2020.

1. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

galaxy flex power.jpg galaxy flex power.jpg I received my Galaxy Book Flex 15 (Korean edition).
    Looks great and can't wait to try it out (used gloves to set up Windows and will let it sit a while longer to be safe - was shipped about 2 3/4 days ago).

The power cord needs an adapter (i.e. black plug in attached photo) for the US which the seller supplied.
    The only thing is that if it is plugged into a wall outlet, the big Samsung brick / block will hang precariously downward from the wall outlet due to the design, especially now with the extra distance added by the US adapter.

(So as not to double pay) are there any reasonable aftermarket USB-C-to-wall outlet power cable alternatives to use in the USA for the Flex given after all this is simply USB-C (as opposed to a proprietary plug on the computer end)?
    What power specs should I be looking for (assuming I can't match the exact specs of the Samsung version)?

Thanks!

Marty likes this.
  2. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Adding power supply specs since I found them on the other side of the adapter:
    65 Watts
    3A / 3.25A (see photo)

20V = 3.25A
    15V = 3A
    9V = 3A
    5V = 3A

So, when I am looking for an aftermarket adapter (smaller form factor), how do I know which specific voltage and amperage will be used by Galaxy Book Flex (sorry I am not a power expert) so I can pick a matching aftermarket adapter?

EDIT:
    1. In any case, the following one seems to be an exact match on power specs compared to the Samsung OEM one, albeit with a US plug which I need:
    https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Charg...+3a+3.25a&qid=1589554327&s=electronics&sr=1-5
    Power:65W. Input: 100V-240V 50-60Hz; Output: 5V/3A,9V/3A,12V/3A,15V/3A,18V/3A,20V/3.25A
    Only 11 Amazon reviews so far though, so not a large sample size over a period of time.

2. This one also matches, although it has one EXTRA voltage 20.3V in addition to the voltages (20V, 15V, 9V, 5V which the Samsung power supply supports.
    Assume that does not matter?
    Rated Power: 65W, Input: 100V-240V 50-60Hz, Output: 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/3A, 15V/3A, 20.3V/3A, 20V/3.25A 65W. Connecter Size: USB Type-C. Quick Charge, Slim, lightweight design, Simplifies storage.
    https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Char...er+3.25a&qid=1589554236&s=electronics&sr=1-10
    Edit - Probably ruling this one out based on high % of 1-star reviews on Amazon (13% of reviews are 1-star).

3. Option 3? Excellent reviews, ultra compact and 65W, but no supported voltages and amperages specified?
    https://www.amazon.com/Charger-RAVP...011&rnid=1248877011&s=electronics&sr=1-4&th=1
    It does says this: "Monumental Compatibility: One-stop charging solution that works flawlessly with virtually all USB-C and USB-A powered devices, from iPhone to Samsung to USB-C laptops and more"

Looks like this may be perfect: (assuming USB PD is supported by the Flex which I believe it is?)
    https://www.amazon.com/ZMI-zPower-Turbo-Power-Adapter/dp/B07D64QLQ1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=BJ6RIGJL55DE&dchild=1&keywords=65w+usb-c+charger&qid=1589558508&refinements=p_72:2661618011&rnid=2661617011&sprefix=65w+usb-c+charger,hpc,146&sr=8-1

Photos of my Samsung Galaxy Book Flex OEM power supply photo (Korean version) with specs:

Galaxy Book Flex Korean power adapter specs. 50pct.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  3. Qyygle

Qyygle Pen Pal - Newbie

Typically with newer devices and reputable charger manufacturers the charger and device have chips that 'talk' to each other and negotiate the required charging voltage/amperage based on what settings the charger can offer.

I'd recommend sticking to something from Anker, Aukey, RAVpower, or an Amazon basics if possible (pretty much not a no-name manufacturer). Try to match the max Wattage of your original charger (65W) if possible. Most usb-c PD chargers doing 65W will output 20V - 3.25A
    60W chargers are more common from what I see on Amazon, these will output at 20V - 3A, which is close enough for the flex to take. You might get a windows pop-up of 'auxiliary charger' or something, basically just warning you may lose battery charge if running something that causes higher demand than the 60W on one of those chargers.

If you're running office docs, web browsing, watching videos, you'll never hit that 65W requirement. Even if you run a really intensive game, I doubt the flex will draw a full 65W for more than a few minutes before thermals force it down. You can certainly test it though, I'd expect anything recent will be compatible.

One more thing to look out for, a lot of usb-c PD chargers offer more than one charging port. Check that the total output isn't based on a combination of those two ports. A 60W charger sometimes means 40W on the usb-c port and 20W for the additional usb-A, etc.

njweb likes this.
  4. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot for the feedback and helpful info!
    Last week, after posting, I ended up ordering the following which matches the 65W power of the Samsung OEM (Korean in my case) charger and comes with the cable. It got great reviews and seems to fit the bill in terms of compact size too. I will try it out soon...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D64QLQ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: May 20, 2020