Upgrading X200 tablet LED to mulitouch

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by thunderzhao, Sep 30, 2010.

1. thunderzhao

thunderzhao Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a digitizer only x200t, I'm trying to upgrade to a capacitive touchscreen

so i found this screen (13N7271/13N7295 (Toshiba IPS Model# LTD121KX6B))

according to http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/31644-definitive-x200-tablet-lcd-panel-resource-2.html, this screen should function, except for Micro-Processor card for multitouch pane is different
    Lenovo Support & downloads - 12.1 inch WXGA (1280x800) LCD Touchscreen service parts - ThinkPad X200 Tablet, X201 Tablet

Has anyone tried it before?

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Scribbler - Standard Member

I think you'll be better off selling your X200t and buying a X200t with multitouch. It'll probably cost less that way and you won't void your warranty in the process.

3. thunderzhao

Nobody ever done this before?

4. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

How experienced are you? I'm not sure I would do this particularly if it was going from TFT to LED, since the voltage to the inverter card to the newer LED board is probably not the same, and that is the LED needs less.

This is major major undertaking, but it is possible if you're patient, and really good at this kind of thing, I would allow for 5+ hours since you're going to be frustrated and need to step back (IMHO) depending on your prior experience and the need to label every screw and wire (perhaps photo, too). There's 15 screws just for the bezel, many snap tabs that you could break either when disassembly or reassembly occurs. If you break any of the snap tabs along the way, the screen will be loose or have gaps. You could snap the bezel plastic into two, too. I've done that myself.

You also need a 60Y4717N Multi-touch cable. and the 60Y4166N brackets. And there were two different LED boards used for multi-touch13N7270/1 . There were also some minor differences in the LCD back which may or may not be an issue Swapping the cable will also mean totally disassembly of the hinge from the base unit, and rethreading all the antenna cables (and everything else) back through. There's no actual instructions for replacing the cable, it's assumed that the cable is something that you DON'T replace, and it's the LCD (or some card) that's the problem. So you would have to do the replace hinge operation which is a major chore, since you need to re-thread the new cable through along with all the antenna cables (and re-lay them back into the base's channels.

Here's the FRU's you have remove to GET to the LCD, the Microcard is just one of them. Obviously if you don't have some of the 'cards' you won't have to remove them. I pulled this list from a X200T specific manual rather than the newer X20xT series manual.

2050 LCD panel, LCD bracket L and R, and LCD cable
    For access, remove these FRUs in order:
    v “1010 Digitizer pen” on page 83
    v “1020 Battery pack” on page 84
    v “1050 Hinge caps” on page 92
    v “1060 Keyboard” on page 94
    v “1070 Extension cable card” on page 97
    v “1080 Palm rest” on page 98
    v “1100 PCI Express Mini Card for wireless LAN/WiMAX” on page 102
    v “1110 PCI Express Mini Card for wireless WAN” on page 106
    v “1120 Intel Turbo Memory Minicard or Wireless USB PCI Express Half-Mini
    Card” on page 108
    v “1140 Keyboard bezel” on page 112
    v “1170 LCD assembly” on page 119
    v “2010 LCD front bezel” on page 135
    v “2020 Micro-Processor card” on page 139
    v “2030 Inverter card” on page 142
    v “2040 Hinges” on page 143"

5. thunderzhao

Thanks for you reply, Stan

I opened up my screen and found out it's an LED, and it's glued to the protecting glass, dont know how to seperate them.

6. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

You have the direct bonding glass screen, that's as it should be.

13N7272N LCD panel, 12.1-in. WXGA, LED backlight for direct-bonding glass
    v 4184-CTO
    v 7448-CTO
    v 7449-CTO, 4Hx, 4Zx, C7x, C8x, CAx, CBx
    v 7450-CTO, 64x, 65x, 67x, 69x, 6Bx, 6Cx, 6Nx, 6Yx, D4x, D5x, D6x, DAx, DCx, DFx
    v 7453-CTO, 69x, 6Bx
    v 2263-CTO
    v 2266-CTO

7. jimi9746

jimi9746 Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but since I'm interested in this very upgrade I though I'd give it a try.....

I have an x201 table that I just bought and it is in great condition. It has the simple digitizer tablet screen without the multi-touch.

Here's my scenario....I bought this one to replace an x201 tablet WITH multi-touch which died on me. I think the motherboard is toast due to a ginger ale spill. However the screen is fine.

In my case I can swap the entire screen assembly without too much effort (I have the skill and background)...however I need/want to know if the graphics card on the mother board will be any different?

My donor multi-touch is a machine type 3093-A14 and the non touch is a 3093-W6A if that helps....t

thanks,
    Jim