Upgrading the C-140x default hard drive . .

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by vettipayyan, Nov 3, 2007.

1. irhumbled

irhumbled Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, so I've been thinking that I probably want to upgrade the default hard drive. I haven't actually received my c-140x yet, it's going to be in my hands in less than a week and I'd like to plop a bright and shiny hard drive in there. The reasons for upgrading are primarily speed, not space. I want to be able to get (if it's significant) a speed boost in booting/starting programs/loading games. I would imagine a 7200 rpm hard drive is a must then. Also, it would seem that the cache for the hard drive is important as well. Will 8mb cache do or should I go for something with 16mb. I saw a hard drive on newegg that seemed to be the biggest, beefiest, and raw contender of all: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145160

I don't need that large of a space, (I don't really, but I could convince myself I do). Anyways, I do plan on loading up a few games for fun, probably games that are not online or have fun single player since I don't have the time to spend hours playing online. Anyways let me know what you think. Oh, and if this is the bad boy to buy, could I get a better deal somewhere else?

P.S. I bought 2x 1gb sticks (kingston) from a local store on sale for $40 a pop. I'm thinking about returning them for one 1x1gb stick from newegg. I'm thinking I could keep a 512mb stick in there with the 2 gb stick and get a bit more ram and substance if I upgrade os later to 64 bit. Is it worth it? Will the different size and possible specs make them slow down my machine?

Thanks

2. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

So the link you provided doesn't work for me so...anyways just remember that adding more RAM will never slow down your computer, and also if your paying $80 in total for both of the sticks you can get 2X1 GB on Newegg for around $55 so check Newegg, and also maybe its just me but I try to stick with name brands if the price is relatively the same if that helps.

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

You can buy that hard drive for less than $150 at Best Buy.

4. irhumbled

irhumbled Pen Pal - Newbie

5. vettipayyan

vettipayyan Pen Pal - Newbie

16mb over 8bm does not make a significant improvement,anantech did a comparison a few months ago,ncq mattered.Best buy had the 200gb 7200 rpm for 140 as an external drive,there was a way to figure out whether you were getting the 5400 rpm or the 7200.

6. playersnoopy

playersnoopy Pen Pal - Newbie

first off there is no way Best Buy on a good day has a "NOTEBOOK" 7200rpm 200gb 16mb SATA HD for $140. I have the one from Newegg, they are the cheapest since you're buying an OEM hard drive from them. As for performance, they say it's about a 20% performance boost, which would make sense. I don't know how much of a boost it really gives but for the most part I would say it peforms better than the 8mb drive I had in it. I've been using the 200gb drive on my 140x for 2 months now and love it, I need the space though, already down to 16gigs free (but I do high resolution photography.) One thing to note though, sucker gets warm, but not dangerously hot or anything. If you upgrade the HD at all, get this one, you'll love it.

7. vettipayyan

vettipayyan Pen Pal - Newbie

Heres the link for the "notebook" 7200 hd,it has been for around a month ,infact my local best buy has a couple of them left.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=175994

You can see links at slickdeals,fw also.
    16mb does not definitely offer a 20% boost,it could only when transfers are a lot,not seeks.I will update the post when i find the toms review of it