Upgrading EP121 to 8GB of RAM possibilities

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Edwood, Feb 21, 2011.

1. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Thibault

Thibault Pen Pal - Newbie

My question then is why does asus bother us with a 64 bit windows 7 version ?

I know of XP (i.e 32 bits) PC that work with 4GB, so if the EP121 why complicate people'life with a Windows 7 64 bit version ?????

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Contract with MS dictates what they put on the units at what cost. Marketing is also a big factor. Then comes to software developers moved their app to Win7.

4. haya-t

haya-t Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Hawkz19

Hawkz19 Pen Pal - Newbie

There are 32 bit systems that can have up to 4 GB of ram in the machine, but that doesn't mean the PC is using all of it. From what I understand, on 32 bit Windows systems Microsoft locks the usable memory at around 3.12 GB of RAM. I believe this has something to do with protecting windows from getting screwed up with badly written drivers. I'm no expert so someone else or some google searching could probably explain it.

Anyways the point being is that this isn't an issue with 64 bit systems, so you could access all 4 gb of Ram, instead of the 3.12 or whatever the actual number is. 8gb is a lot of RAM, and with the mid range processor on this tablet I don't see how it could be that much better than 4gb.

There are other reasons 64 bit is better than 32 besides available memory.

64-bit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. CrewmanNum9

CrewmanNum9 Pen Pal - Newbie

Today is 6/16/2017 and I've been fooling around with my 4gb / 64gb ep121. Today I received my 8gb, 204 pin DDR3L-1600 SODIMM 1.35V stick from Crucial, CT102464BF160B.M16FP.

Just to confirm what pkirill said;

IT WILL NOT WORK!