Upgrading a T5010 to Vista Ultimate and Portshutter

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by adretzios, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently upgraded to Vista Ultimate. Following the upgrade, which, according to the installation process went fine, I lost several devices connected to an internal USB hub (the DVD drive, the camera, bluetooth, etc). Fujitsu's tech support was clueless, as one would expect from manufacturer's tech support.

It turns out that running Portshutter (a security software) caused the problem but getting rid of any evidence of Portshutter before gaining control of the computer was a time consuming affair requiring a lot of registry editing. If the Portshutter devices remain in the the /Windows directory (even after an uninstall, these are still there), they overwrite the registry changes at every reboot. So, all files and registry keys must be removed before rebooting, otherwise all the effort would have been for nought.

Thus, if you do intend to upgrade the T5010 to Ultimate (from Business) make sure that there is no Portshutter installed.

2. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

That makes sense to me. Technically there wasnt a problem because portshutter was functioning as portshutter was programed to function. Its a security software, you don't want them to be too easy to remove now do you?

As for the loss of the usb hub, using Fujitsu's drivers on the website didn't restore it?

What sort of registrt tweaks did you do?

3. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Portshutter installs an entery of LowerFilter = Portshutter(device) in about eight devices (it does install an UpperFilter as well in the CD). These, as well as all instances of Portshutter can be removed. However, all of this would be for nought if one does not remove the Portshutter(device).sys devices from the /windows/system directory (which are not removed by the uninstalling of Portshutter). Also, many elements of Portshutter remain in the /Programs directory. If all these are not removed, Portshutter keeps rewriting everything that one removes from the registry.

I found this absolutely unnerving. I thought that as an administrator, I would be able to fully remove a program, but apparently this is not the case. This program should only get in the stealth mode if the administrator or confirmed users are not utilizing the system. I think that Portshutter and the lack of documentation for this program is really unnecessary when Fujitsu also provides the Intel TPM software.

In any case, the main news here is that none of the safety software should be install if one intends to upgrade Vista Business to Vista Ultimate. I was surprised that Fujitsu tech support had absolutely no clue as to how to remove this piece of software! Their only solution was for me to send the system to their depot.

4. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

hehe, I never installed portshutter. But it still sounds like it was doing what it Was meant to. luckily you got it off. Thanks for sharing the fix!

5. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

No problem. I am quite upset in fact that Fujitsu did not provide any warnings regarding potential problems with this software. Anyway, probably very few would be upgrading Vista Business to Vista Ultimate but for me, having Windows Media Player was a must.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.