1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Upgrade W500 to W501 with 3G module

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by warnold, Nov 1, 2011.

1. warnold

warnold Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried to upgrade their W500 with a 3G module to make it similar to the W501?

After researching I found out that the W501 uses the following 3G module which can easily be purchased on ebay, etc and not so expensive.

Huawei EM770W
    huawei em770w | eBay

Anyone who has opened up their W500 can check if there is a slot to put in this PCI-E card?

Also what about the SIM card slot / tray ? Do we need additional hardware or the W500 already has it?
  2. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

OK. I just talked to someone who's familiar with the diff between the W500 and W501 (not available in U.S.). It's not just simply adding the module and the Sim card slot. You will also have to get the internal 3G antenna and route it. Also drivers are carrier specific so unless there is a W501 available with a local carrier in your country. Just adding all the hardware will do you no good.
  4. EmailGuy

EmailGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

If it wasn't clear from the other thread, the W500 does not have the second Mini PCIe slot for the 3G card or the SIM card holder. You would need to solder on the surface mount connector for the Mini PCIe slot and the SIM card holder. That is not easy to do and if not done right can ruin your motherboard.

I would recommend that you use a smartphone as a hotspot or buy one of the small 3G/4G hotspot devices. That will be far less risky than soldering stuff onto your motherboard.
  5. doyancoli

doyancoli Pen Pal - Newbie

recommend you to get this huawei E5 pocket wifi. Works perfect with W500.....
  6. mikter22

mikter22 Pen Pal - Newbie

anyone know how to get a sim card out, i put my sim card in, theres no 3g module, and it is loose inside ;(
  7. KLF

KLF Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

Basically you need to take the computer case apart until you reach the sim card or it falls off.