Upgrade Video Card

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dgh725, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

I could not answer that effectively without doing a bunch of research first, sorry... Maybe try "laptop graphics card replacement" on wikipedia?

2. mludwig

mludwig Pen Pal - Newbie

Integrated graphics means it is included in the chipset. Intel's X3100 is included with the GM965 chipset. The PM965 is essentially the same chipset, only the X3100 is either disabled or missing. When using the PM965, there must be a discrete chip with dedicated memory to fill in the role of graphics processor.

Both the chipset (thus the X3100 too) and the discrete GPU are integrated (soldered) into the mainboard of a laptop making them essentially not replaceable (irreplaceable???). Maybe, if the design characteristics of two graphics chips would be the same, you could solder the new one in, but seriously, practically it is impossible.

3. Bobguy

Bobguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I did some research on this awhile ago. If I remember correctly, some Gateway models do have a modified version of MXM on the board, but Gateway made the cards incompatible with other models. I think the CX210 may have had this (I've never taken mine apart to that extent), but from what I've read here, the C-140 probably doesn't have it at all. All the same, It's likely that Gateway still limits what cards can be used on each motherboard, so I doubt that it's possible to upgrade the video card.

If you think about it, it makes sound business sense from Gateway's perspective -- you need to pay for a whole new computer if you want to upgrade the graphics.

4. mludwig

mludwig Pen Pal - Newbie

Of course, it makes business sense, but there are other factors involved too. These chips have electrical characteristics, pin layouts which all have to match with the mainboard's design. Other integrated circuit elements are needed to make them work. Making graphics replaceable means providing a bus connector on the mainboard (PCIe for example) and implementing the graphics chip, memory, capacitors etc. on a daughter-card which fits into this connector (desktop video cards, ring a bell?). Another option would be to provide a socket on the mainboard and make the graphics chip removable. This would also require the graphics chips to adhere to the socket's standard (like in the case of the CPU).

5. tabletonthevista

tabletonthevista Scribbler - Standard Member

playersnoopy: What is a sprint wireless broadband card? And generally, what kind of miniPCIe stuff are there?

6. playersnoopy

playersnoopy Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a wireless broadband card, so you can connect to the internet via cell tower, a cellphone for your laptop basically.

7. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

For those trying to figure all of this out, here is some more information. This is available on the Gateway Support web site.

Display Interface: 1-CH LVDS
    TV-Out: No
    Brightness Control: PWM, 8-Levels

8. Slawek

Slawek My new laptop smoking you

I looked at that yesterday. I wonder why they mention the pci-x bus when it is physically soldered in. :confused:

9. mludwig

mludwig Pen Pal - Newbie

Because the fact that it is soldered in, doesn't mean that it cannot use the pci-x bus standard.

10. Slawek

Slawek My new laptop smoking you

Well, if they did implement that standard then I don't see a problem software wise, as we would just change the drivers just the same as if we swapped a GPU in a PC.

I just wonder how its soldered on... thruhole or surface mount?

And also public availibility of a hd2600xt for example.

I can't wait till I get mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.