Upgrade Video Card

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dgh725, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

That would be cool. I could do some soldering...

2. Slawek

Slawek My new laptop smoking you

Everyone pitch in 5 bucks to me, and I'll try it. :) What is the availabilty of these chips to the public?

3. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

Thanks.

I was wondering because they make the distinction that the Intel is "integrated" video.

The inference is that the ATI is not "integrated" but doesn't say what the difference is.

4. Slawek

Well, I see the difference as the "interegrated" (intel) uses the system memory and cpu for graphic rendering, whereas the ati chip does it all in itself. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Erock1982

Erock1982 Logistics Genius

Slawek: I think the ATI being dedicated implies that it processes graphics in a self contained way rather than sharing the resources with anything else as is in the case of the Intel option. Dont trust me though lol.

So, whats this about mini pci-e slots? You guys mean to tell me you can add a component later? As in there is room for upgrading this machine on your own? I ask because I was given the impression laptops are nonupgradeable.

6. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

They are to an extent...

all can upgrade ram, and HD atleast. Some can do the processor, and there are always addons for pci slots and usb ports or built in 7-in-1 card readers! :)

7. Erock1982

Erock1982 Logistics Genius

cool chris thanks. main reason i was asking is the obvious fact that well... i may need more graphics wiggle room as time progresses at some point. i intend to use mine for some 'light' gaming on the go (gotta have fun too).

8. playersnoopy

playersnoopy Pen Pal - Newbie

ATI graphics card is integrated with dedicated 128megs GDDR2/3 RAM but can expand to more memory using shared resources like the intel integrated video allowing you to get up to 384megs of video memory and in some cases even more.

As for upgradability, yes this laptop comes with 2 mini-pci express card slots. One is used up with a wireless network card if you got that option, plus there is room for something else, if you can find a mini-pci express device. This is different than a PCI-e cards, this is a mini-card pci-e or something like that. Like I said I will just put in a sprint wireless broadband card in that slot rather than using a PCMCIA card. But there aren't too many mini-card pci-e devices since it really is small.

9. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

It would be pretty close to impossible to get a new graphics card on there. It seems they are soldered on and even if you got them off, the new one might not work in its place, or the old one if you have to put it back.

All laptop graphics cards (with the exception of alienware it seems) are "integrated". They are all soldered onto your motherboard.

The difference with dedicated is that its got its own memory and therefor doesnt need to share a certain amount of memory with your computer. The reason its better is because it can do it all on its own, without having to talk with your computers memory...

10. Slawek

If someone physically was able to replace the chip. What about hardware/software wise? Would the BIOS have to be altered? If we could somehow see if the pin layout is the same, that would make it more tempting to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.