Upgrade to WWAN / UMTS functionality - plans incl. pictures

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by OnenoteLover, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnenoteLover

OnenoteLover Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

in the beginning I didn't think that I could need the WWAN / UMTS functionality for my new T5010. But now this changed - after upgrading my iphone 2G to a 3G model :) I now want to upgrade my tablet pc also. I'm located in Europe so my model isn't identically to the us version.

A) Which WWAN card for EU model - MC8790

First question was: Which module I need to buy for having WWAN functionality. I found out that Fujitsu uses the Sierra Wireless MC8790 3G module in Europe (=86&tx_ttproducts_pi1[product]=5161]tech specs). I costs about 180 EUR which isn't cheap but that's the deal :)

[​IMG]

Additional tech specs: http://www.sierrawireless.com/product/mc8790.aspx

B) T5010 opened - everything seems prepared for WWAN

Today I opened my T5010 using this great tutorial . Here's how it looks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems that everything is prepared for this card (cables, connections, etc). I just have to buy the proper WWAN card and connect it correctly.

What do you think? Is this as easy as it seems?
    Thanks for your feedback and help! :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

looks good, looks like everything is prepared for the upgrade in your european model.

Some tutorials, which explain this process for a netbook, used a WWAN card from a USB stick or something similar. Maybe you can import or find something similar in Germany, too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. lowlife

lowlife Addicted to gadgets

I await your results. It seems clear and simple in theory.

4. OnenoteLover

Hi and thanks for your feedback!

Today I ordered the WWAN device MC8790. I'm very excited about the result and I'll let you know in this thread.

@Frank: Thanks for the interesting link! I didn't know that there's kind of a "3G hacking sport" :) In my case it's been quite easy to get the WWAN device. I just ordered it as a Fujitsu spare part.

5. OnenoteLover

6. lowlife

lowlife Addicted to gadgets

When I read this I started ripping at my eyes and felt the impulse to play in traffic. There must be a solution. Is it possible that it is as simple as a driver installation?

7. OnenoteLover

Yeah, there is an easy solution! But they don't want to help me finding a service partner who does the unlock.... I can't believe their ignorance. They told me I should buy the model which already has UMTS - great tip :)

[​IMG]

On this picture you see the troublemaking point: You must flash the manufacturer data to BIOS (DMI)

But for this you need some parameters or so.

8. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

and if you just flash the BIOS to update to the latest BIOS, maybe this helps already.

9. OnenoteLover

Hi Frank, I already tried this - no success. Today I finally found a Fujitsu service partner who now tries to help me. A special unlock procedure must be done - that's for sure now.

I really didn't think about the possibility of a software lock integrated by the manufacturer. Others (Asus, etc.) don't do this. HOPEFULLY this story will end successfully.

10. OnenoteLover

Hi there,

I finally succeeded upgrading to 3G! I was quite easy after all. On the hardware side I did everything correctly. Just by the UMTS module which Fujitsu normally builds in and install it by opening the tablet.

But then you must find a Fujitsu service partner who has the so called "setDMI Tool". In fact every Fujitsu service partner has to have this tool - it's used for all Fujitsu PCs, laptops, etc.

Then the service partner resets the DMI settings by this tool in about a minute. After doing that you've the UMTS option in BIOS! It's so easy if you have this tool :)

Finally I've a great UMTS modem now which is a lot better than the iPhone 3G modem.

Important: Fujitsu does not support this hardware upgrade (who nows why). So if you do that upgrade your warranty could be in danger. You should undo this setDMI step before sending the laptop into RMA!

Best regards,
    a happy UMTS user ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.