Upgrade the network card (With Video)

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by JohnathanKong, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnathanKong

JohnathanKong Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Guys,

Last upgrade for my slate. I made a video of me upgrading the network card to an intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230. I filmed the entire upgrade from beginning to end so you can see me opening up my slate (using the credit card method as mentioned by a member on the forums).

Here is the youtube link:
    YouTube - Asus Eee Slate Upgrading Wireless

The card works great, but if you are installing it into the existing image (the one that came with the system), REMEMBER to disable or remove the existing Azure software. I was having a really hard time because I forgot to uninstall the software.

Also, although the card works great, I still cannot get max spped, 300 Mb/s. I've been doing some searching, and this seems to be a common problem with the 6230. The only way to get it up to 300Mb/s is to upgrade to a dual band router because I have to be on the 5GHz band to reach 300Mb/s. I will be looking around for a better router to see if it helps. I know that I had another system that I upgraded to a 63xx series of the centrino, the one with the 3 antennas, and I still could not get the max 300Mb/s, so I am going to assume that it is the 2.4GHz issue for now. Once I get the router, I will keep you guys updated.

2. Steve1130

Steve1130 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice video. Where did you get the card? Looks like something I would like to try.

3. murfmiser

murfmiser Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the vids, I'll probably wait for win 8 to upgrade mine, hopefully by then there will be some nice cheap ssd options.

4. shmuelzon

shmuelzon Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the video!

Seeing how this network card supports Intel's WiDi and the slate has a Core i processor, will WiDi actually work or does it need some other hardware not available in the slate?

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for a great video and the time taken to create it.

6. JohnathanKong

JohnathanKong Pen Pal - Newbie

That's something that I am very interested in as well. I like the WiDi feature, but I checked on intels site and they supported processor is I think the i5-460UM and ours is the 470. It doesn't have ours posted as supported, but could this be just because the 470 just came out? I am really tempted to try it out and see if it works.

7. shmuelzon

shmuelzon Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you try to install the driver software for pairing with a WiDi device?
    Maybe it will show an error message if it's not compatible...

8. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

9. Steve1130

Steve1130 Pen Pal - Newbie

So will WIDI work with the processor type ? Has anyone been able to find out for sure?

10. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

Seems like it will; all the software installs and runs. However, I have no WiDi client to test it with.

I would give 7 to 1 odds that it does work. The release notes for the latest drivers say WiDi works on all i5 ULV configurations: