Upgrade Tablet OS to XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dougpaw57, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDNRower

CDNRower Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Tablet 2005 OS and am sorely missing some of the items that my desktop has running XP Pro. Since I would like Outlook 2003 & Powerpoint, can I upgrade with my XP Pro install disk?
    Thanks

2. dougpaw57

dougpaw57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Windows Tablet 2005 has all XP Pro functionality. Outlook and Powerpoint can be installed on any version of XP.

3. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

CDNRower, Tablet 2005 is Windows XP Pro, except with even more stuff added on. Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, etc.) aren't included with any version of Windows, much to the dismay of many users like yourself who are most likely told by Best Buy employees (who have that entire 15 minute training course in IT) that Windows XP Pro & Office 2003 Professional are the same thing. They are two VERY different things.

To use an automotive analogy (my favorite kind), you're trying to get more comfortable seats by replacing your radio antenna.

Nope, wasn't supposed to make any sense.

Don't feel bad though, a lot of users make this exact same mistake because the people who told you things like that most likely weren't trained properly in the first place. To be 100% legal though, you'll need to go out and buy a copy of Office for your Tablet. Check with your company to see if you can get a "license" on the cheap. Good luck!

4. CDNRower

Thanks NFWolwPryde, That was actaualy very illuminating -can I referance the antenna analogy to others?
    My question is this, and I can no longer find the location that I found them, I've found referances to Office files on my Tablet. I've found PowerPoint & Outlook 2003 to name a few. I just can never actaully find the program that would allow me to open them. Does this make sense?
    Otherwise, I'll take your advice and see if I can't get a legal copy from a channel reseller.
    Thanks!

5. Havraha

Havraha Pen Pal - Newbie

OR, you can use your standard P2P file sharing program to acquire it.

But that is horribly illegal, dispicable, maniacal, and will result in a catastrophic armaggedeon of the computer and music industry of the likes the world has never known and will ever see again.

... not to mention you'd have bad character. Or something. At least that's what the cops say.

So of course, no one here condones the illegal recopying and distrubtion of pre-purchased software. That's just DISPICABLE! How dare people out there use such horrible programs like KAZAA, and LIMEWIRE, and BEARSHARE to acquire outrageously priced software almost required by PC users everywhere!?!? It's a disgrace to man kind and a slap in the face of humanity!

... happy hunting. ;)

6. dougpaw57

My Toshiba R15-S829 came with a trial version of MS Office, maybe you're seeing those files.

7. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a chance that you somehow managed to delete them from your Start Menu. For Office 2003, look in the following folder for winword.exe and powerpnt.exe.

C:\program files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

(that is of course depending on whether C: is the letter for your home drive.)

Not sure if this pertains to your problem or if you've already tried looking here, but just trying to help. :)

Jesse

8. CDNRower

Jesse, thanks for that answer. I don't have those exact files but I do have ones with a .ctm at the end of their file names.
    le; Winword.exe.ctm
    Any ideas as to were I can find the working Ofc. files? Many thanks

9. dougpaw57

The files you are seeing are the compressed files for the MS Office Trial version. If you want MS Office, you have to buy it, unless you pirate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.