Upgradability of 4210

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by goreckm, Jul 27, 2006.

1. goreckm

goreckm Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone.

I'm about to press the button and buy my 4210, but I have a question about future upgrade options.

Is it possible to upgrade the harddrive on the fujitsu? The reason I'm asking this is because I would love to get a 7200rpm hdd maybe a year down the line when they come with built in flash memory. If this is possible I would go with the smallest hdd now, and then get a nice, big, fast one when possible.

Another question I have is about the probability of upgrading the yonah chips to merom on the fujitsu. Did fujitsu support this sort of upgrade in the past? I would see no reason to get a fast yonah chip now if I can upgrade to merom 6 months down the line, but if I can't, might as well get the T2500 now.

And finally, I would like to know about future wireless options for the fujitsu. I remember reading on these boards that it will be impossible to replace the integrated 802.11abg card with an 802.11n card, so the upgrade will have to be in an external slot. Does anyone with experience on the old laptops remember if using a CardBus WiFi solution wastes much more battery power than an integrated one?

I'll be getting the 4210 no matter what, I just want to know where I stand, as this tablet will have to last me the next 3-4 years.

2. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

Isn't the wifi card minipci in the fujitsu?

If fujitsu gives the motherboard upgrade then the meron chip will be supported in full. Otherwise its a crap shoot whether or not it will work. If fujitsu doesn't give the upgraded bios there is still a chance it will work, but then you can say bye bye to the new power saving features that is supposed to make the meron better in the first place.

3. twcmaster

twcmaster Pen Pal - Newbie

I already upgraded to a 7200 rpm drive :)

4. goreckm

goreckm Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice! Thanks for the info.

5. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

I also upgraded to a 7200 rpm hard drive. It definitely was not easy though because the hard drive sleeve that came with the computer did not have its breathing holes in the right spots, so I had to make new ones. But it worked and it's fast, I tink =).

6. numbah

numbah Pen Pal - Newbie

How did you guys upgrade the hard drive? Are there online directions?

Is the hard drive located below the panel with the Windows Tablet PC cd-key? I tried to remove that plastic cover, but I couldn't even get it off after I removed the two screws securing it.

7. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

You need to slide that panel out like the memory panel. It should slide towards you. The hard drive is located underneath around an envelope sleeve thing that is metallic. It's a very simple procedure except for the breathing holes. You need to make sure the holes are exposed, and if that means cutting some of the metallic envelope, so be it. Otherwise, the hard drive will overheat. I did everything in about 25 minutes and I was completely finished restoring everything on the new hard drive in another 20 minutes.

Of course, this was before I knew I was returning the tablet, so everything is going back to its original configuration.

8. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

What type did you put in, and did it affect battery life? Also, can you notice an overall improvement (real life) in speed?

Thanks