Updates on external battery availability?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by HCL708, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HCL708

HCL708 Pen Pal - Newbie

Had my Ep121 for about 2 months now and the battery life is starting to make me regret my purchase. Upon reading more about Fujitsu q550, I feel that's a fit for me for my use. However, I really love inking on the ep121. I mainly use it for pdf annotation and Onenote and I cannot imagine my life without it.

I've read about the external batteries, but no manufacturer seem to have the appropriate tip yet. Does anyone have any update on that?

If not, I may have to sell my Asus and get the q550 instead.

2. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't purchased an external battery because I find that I am almost always near power, but I did get a few extra Innergie power supplies from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Innergie mCube Mini World's Smallest Auto/Air Universal Adapter: Electronics

Amazon.com: Innergie mCube Lite Ultra Slim Universal Adapter: Electronics

Both of these chargers work with the Eee Slate using this tip from Tekkeon:
    Adapter for Mobile Devices - Tekkeon, Inc.

Tekkeon also makes an external battery that should work with this tip as well, (I personally can't confirm because I don't own it, but I believe it has worked for others.)
    Tekkeon - myPower ALL, MP3300/MP3400/MP3450

I'm not sure what type of tip connector the Energizer uses, but it may also work with the Tekkeon tip.
    Amazon.com: Energizer XP18000 Rechargeable Power Pack for Laptops: Electronics

Attached Files:

3. HCL708

HCL708 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much!

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. WildParadise

WildParadise Pen Pal - Newbie

Still waiting for my fitting... battery sitting unopened... Can't wait to plug it to do my whole course with it

6. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

I ordered the MP3750 with extra MP3450-10 battery attachment. I'll report back next week with results. The total cost was under $200 from BHPhotoVideo.com.

7. jywang

Quick Update:

I received the MP3750 and MP3450-10 yesterday. Today I ran it continuously with NetFlix movie playback at full brightness with bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected, wireless on but unused, and a Trendnet Gigabit network connection and it ran the EP121 for just over 4 hours before it was down to 10% remaining (1 out of 6 LEDs lit). The EP121 battery started out full and was still full after the 4 hours. When run on battery, it was averaging around 18W power draw. So, this means that the effective power of the external battery pack is around 76W + 10% or 85W. The battery pack is rating for 50W + 50W or 100W.

Since this is the first use of the battery, I expect it to increase after a few cycles. I'm hoping to get closer to 5 hours before hitting 10% when drawing 18W. Normal usage for me when just browsing the web is closer to 10W which should translate to as much as 8 hours of usage.

The 3750 does not come with a power brick so you have to use a laptop power brick such as a Dell, HP, or Lenovo 65W - 90W power adapter. Since I have many of these lying around the house, that means I no longer have to use the Asus power brick.

The only thing you have to do is to order the tip directly from Tekkeon.

8. kimbosliced

kimbosliced Pen Pal - Newbie

sounds great can you show some pics with it on the slate?

9. jywang

Picture shows MP3750 without any of the accessories (tips, pouch, and cover), MP3450-10 extra battery with plastic end pieces to attach to main unit, tip for EP121, and 9 inch cable. The tip and 9 inch cable were purchased separately from Tekkeon.

Normally, I hide the battery under the EP121 so that it doesn't take up any space.

I'll have updated battery life numbers tonight.

One thing worth mentioning again is that the MP3750 has input tips for Dell, HP, and Lenovo laptops all of which operate at 19.5V - 20V. So, I can now use those power adapters to simultaneously charge the MP3750 and EP121 while leaving my original ASUS power adapter at home.

John

Attached Files:

10. jywang

MP3750 + MP3450-10 update:

Just hit 5 hours of usage draining only the external battery so far from 100% down to 25% (2 out of 6 LEDs still lit and internal battery still 100%). 3 things different than yesterday's test:

1) Fully charged overnight after initial charge and drain down to 10%
    2) Regular office usage no sleep and screen always at 100% brightness: Visual Studio 2010, Excel, web browsing, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, about 30 minutes of DVD playback using an ISO file on SD card, and OneNote.
    3) MP3750 set on 16V instead of 19V to power but not charge the EP121. The EP121 appears to be operating only on battery (no ac) but the internal battery is not draining. BatteryBar Pro reports 0.0W usage. If I unplug the external battery, it reports between 12W and 15W.

At 12-15W usage, I'm expecting to get 7 hours before hitting 0% on the external battery. I'll update this thread once the external battery turns off since I want to see what the FULL battery life is after a full charge. So far so good...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.