1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Updated TM2 Drivers and Software (Updated 5/1/2010)

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by corecomps, Feb 16, 2010.

1. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

These are updated software drivers and assume you have already installed the based drivers that make sense to install:

NOTE: After getting a little heat, I want to make sure everyone is clear...Some of these drivers are posted because HP fails to keep their website up to date with drivers from their cheapy BroadCom vs Intel wireless changes based on where you buy the laptop. Others are posted because some of us like to "live on the edge" and keep the latest and greatest on their machines. Anyone that uses these links or drivers does so at their own risk.

DRTigerLily posted a great article on how to do a clean refresh without losing your OEM:
    Windows 7 Clean/Custom Install - Tablet PC Forums, Discussion and Support

The original HP location for drivers and some OEM application is listed here:
    Select software and drivers HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 CTO Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

3-6-2010 Update (thanks to Meatlocker for the heads up)
    HP Updated their site to include these new drivers and software bundles:
    BumpTop Software - 3D Desktop (VERY COOL)
    HP Support Assistant
    Wacom Digitizer Pen Driver - (no more mediafire download)

and these updated drivers:
    Qualcomm Mobile Broadband Drivers - Gobi2000
    Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows 7
    Essential System Updates for Microsoft Windows 7

3-7-2010 Update
    Oilver Beyer suggests that the AMD driver on HP's site also includes the latest Intel drivers so if you have the ATI/Intel hybrid graphics, you should only need to install the HP ATI driver.

3-26-2010 Update
    Meatlocker reports new BIOS update, F.06 A, and Broadcom drivers.

4-08-2010 Update
    Meatlocker reports new Validity Fingerprint drivers.

4-15-2010
    Meatlocker reports new Touchpad drivers.

4-21-2010
    Meatlocker reports new Sound drivers.

New Additions:
    Intel Video Driver Version 15.17.1.64.2086 (8.15.10.2086) for Windows 7* 64-bit
    Better NextWindow Drivers (2 months newer) added
    BIOS & F.05 (per request) and F.06 A.

=========
    Video (if you have the ATI/Intel Hybrid)
    =========

#1: Install this *after* HP's drivers as it contains HDMI updates
    Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

#2: Hardware based video conversion. (WARNING Survey and Download doesn't work in Chrome)
    MOSS Avivo Download Form (Vista)

#3: Latest Intel Driver 03/04/2010
    Download Locations

=========
    Video (if you have the Intel Only)
    =========

#1: Latest Intel Driver 03/04/2010
    Download Locations

==================
    Digital Persona Software (Finger Print Security)
    ==================

Install the driver for the finger print scanner FIRST!

Software is below and will need to be updated to the latest verison with the built in update tool.
    Digital Persona Fingerprint Reader Software HP HDX X16T-1100 CTO Premium Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

=========
    Pen/Tablet
    =========

Wacom Tablet Drivers

UPDATE***These are now available directly from HP and a custom link is no longer needed.***
    Wacom Digitizer Pen Driver HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 CTO Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

=========
    MultiTouch Screen
    =========

Official NextWindow 1590 Touch Screen Driver (09/15/09) (hacky install)
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL31265/pv-77597-1/sp44376.exe

Latest directly from the manufacturer (11/19/09)
    NextWindow - Windows 7 Touch Screen Driver

=========
    Touch Smart Software
    =========

Full software but doesn't install easily, you must use 7zip or similar tool to extract the installer
    http://www.touchsmartdevzone.com/download/file/2697-30
    Photo Music and Video Installer File:
    HP TouchSmart Music/Photo/Video Application Update HP TouchSmart IQ804 Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (Caribbean - English)

=========
    Wireless Card Change
    =========

HP lists the card as a Broadcom but mine is clearly an Intel Wifi 1000 BNG
    Other users are reporting the same this driver is only needed if you do not have wireless access via HP's drivers.
    *Intel® PRO/Wireless and WiFi Link Drivers-Only for Windows 7*

=========

=========
    BIOS
    =========

BIOS vF.05
    For rollback purposes.
    RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

BIOS vF.06 A
    -Fixes an issue where the screen orientation may rotate twice when pressing the Rotation button once.
    - Fixes an issue where an error message that states, "Product Information not valid" is displayed during system startup (boot).
    WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS - Microsoft Windows-Based HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 CTO Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
  2. mattym

mattym Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this info. Im looking into getting one real soon and will probably be partitioning the drive and doing a clean install, so this will help a lot. Thankfully you seem to be one of the few owners that is an enthusiast enough to post this stuff.

I had some other questions but this forum doesnt seem to have a PM system, if you could get in touch with me via e-mail (mattymatny@gmail) i would like to ask you some questions about how the project you were looking into in a post of yours that was closed turned out.
  3. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

Edited the video driver since ATI updated it.
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@mattym Remember that all these files are stored in the SWSETUP folders, If you backup the folder prior to the clean install there is no need to have to download the drivers and software.
  5. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

The drivers above are specifically posted because they are updates to the drivers preloaded on our PC's outdated long before we receive them.

Are you recommending people use outdated drivers instead of these?
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

If that's the case the title needs to be changed to reflect the fact that they are updated drivers that was not clear before.
  7. monuttzz

monuttzz Pen Pal - Newbie

Corecomps,

Thanks for the great contribution. I don't understand this part:

=========
    Wireless Card Change
    =========
    HP lists the card as a broadcom but mine is clearly an Intel Wifi 1000 BNG
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...18212&lang=eng

How would you know if it was intel or broadcom? I'm having performance issues with my wireless card so I tried to install the intel driver but it didn't work. What I did was I uninstalled the broadcom driver, reboot, then ran the ICS_Ds64.exe, then my wireless connection picked up after the installation. But when I checked my wireless adapter, it said it was broadcom still. So does that mean I actually have a broadcom card?

My model is tm2-1079cl. I picked it up from Sam's Club last week and I'm loving it but hating the wireless performance cuz its not even giving me 1mbs throughput on download. I have tried other XP machines in the house and am getting about 10mbs download throughput on them, so the router is probably not the issue. I'm using basic wep encryption.

Thanks!
  8. Fujilives

Fujilives Pen Pal - Newbie

If in your device manager your wireless card is listed as a Broadcom, you almost positively have a Broadcom card (since I couldn't even force Broadcom drivers to display my Intel WiFi 1000 card as a Broadcom device).

This is not a bad thing, myself and a few others have had very bad problems with our WiFi 1000 card - so you may be best using the most up-to-date "Broadcom" drivers you can find and seeing if that helps.

*EDIT: BTW, nice thread Corecomps, keep it updated over the next couple months (since that is when most of the major updates will likely come) and this will probably be really useful. Thanks!
  9. Oliver Beyer

Oliver Beyer Scribbler - Standard Member

A short question. Does the ATI driver package from HP already include the Intel driver? I'm still a bit unsure what the best installation method would be. HP offers both - Intel and ATI - packages but that's because there are TM2s that are Intel only.

So do we need to install the Intel and then the ATI on top or does the ATI does it all - if it includes the Intel drivers that is.

Thanks for the help.
  10. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

I installed Intel First, then HP ATI then the updated ATI drivers.
  11. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

THe broadcom model is the better one. I'm just flustered that a $1000-1500 laptop would have different components based on where you buy it. Typical for the sub $500 models for cost reasons but pretty crappy that I can't really know what hardware I'm going to get.
  12. Oliver Beyer

Could you eleborate why you need to do this? Because I looked into the drivers and found that the HP ATI driver already contains the Intel drivers. Driver components for the GMA are included and after simply installing the HP-ATI driver, everything including the entire Intel GPU-Settings-Suite is there and working.

Besides, what do you need that multitouch driver for? Multitouch works on mine out of the box and those drivers linked by you don't even install giving only errors when trying to install them.
  13. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

14. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

Oliver, for many advanced users including myself, the upgraded drivers offer new features, faster operation, less bugs etc. The drivers that HP posts on their website are often out of date immediately on release because they go through a longer certification process and then get bundled into the image that comes with your PC. As you can imagine this process occurs long before your PC gets on the shelf of your local store.

Also for others (like myself) we want to reload our PC's immediately with our own versions of the OS. HP's site didn't have all the drivers for us to download.

Hope this helps you understand a little better.
  15. eckie

eckie Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, has anyone been able to download the updated drivers from HP? Every time I try I get the message "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ftp.hp.com" (not having any better luck from IE either)
  16. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

working just fine for me.... here is a direct link to one for testing:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47001-47500/sp47422.exe

If you are on a corporate/public network, they might be blocking ftp access or you have some other issue with ftp access on your computer. I guess another option would be if your DNS is having issues....
  17. Oliver Beyer

@corecomps: I consider myself an advanced user (been working with PCs since the days of the 286 CPU) and usually do install driver manually via inf etc. I usually do clean installs of the OS on my system and keep the drivers updated.

However I'm uncertain about this hybrid driver. The driver package from HP contains both drivers to make the GPU switching workable. You can't simply install a more modern Intel one first and then 'update' it with the hybrid driver from HP that has older components. That's never a good idea and usually results in a huge mess.

What I would do if I could, is take a newer Intel driver and a newer ATI driver and install them seperately. But I have not tried that because I don't know how the hybrid switching reacts to that and if the switching even works after doing that.

But to advise people to install a newer driver for parts of the GPU system and then install an older driver right on top for everything is not a very 'advanced' way of doing things.
  18. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

:eek:
    I never advised anything of the sort. The only non HP driver I direct people to install is the ATI Drivers 10.2 update and I clearly told people to install that after the provided Intel and AMD drivers from HP's site. BTW, Multitouch works but it's the generic input device driver from microsoft after a clean rebuild not manufacturer specific.

After the update I got .1 gaming (0 desktop) improvement on my windows 7 score so there is value.

To Oliver's point however I'll add a declaimer suggesting that any driver updates are at the risk of the user and my advice is not an endorsement from HP or others on the forum.

I maintain this list for the good of the forum, nothing more.
  19. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

I've updated the main thread to highlight the fact that the suggestion is to *first* install all HP drivers before updating.
  20. Oliver Beyer

@corecomps: I not mean to criticise you. If it sounded that way, I do apologize. I read that somewhere around here stating you have should install the Intel and the HP driver on top. I found that a bit dangerous to do because the that would mix older driver components into the newer Intel one.

I's a bit problematic that HP offer Intel and Hybrid drivers because if you're having the hybrid solution, the Intel driver components are already in the ATI package. The Intel only driver package from HP's site however has newer components.

That's why I was a bit worried. Installing the HP-Intel-driver first and then the HP-ATI-driver ontop would mix the differnt Intel driver components of different versions.

But I must admit that the TM2 is my first device with a hybrid solution and I'm simply not sure what you can do with that driverwise and what you can't do. On my older systems there was only one GPU and using a newer driver from the GPU manufacturer was never an issue. But I don't know how it affects the hybrid switching if you install newer drivers from either manufacturer on top of the HP-hybrid-driver.

I can't install the NextWindow 1590 Touch Screen Driver on my TM2 though. I only get an error and the driver is not installable on mine - setup gives the error and pointing to the inf doesn't work either. Not sure why that is.