(Update - IT DOES!) Potential New Pen that might work with S-pen Samsung Products.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by darkmagistric, Oct 18, 2017.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Art_N00b, harrodeleted and WillAdams like this.
  2. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

I just found you can get an extra $10 off with the code "REDEEM86"

(just placed the order and it worked!)

Shizaru, DRTigerlilly and artistebot like this.
  3. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello, does anyone know how can I get one if I live in Europe (Spain). Thanks. I was browsing through HP europe but I couldn't find the pen listed there to get separately from the tablet.

4. darkZ

darkZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a 2 button pen that supports right click?

5. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe the Dell 27 Canvas Pen?

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've tried. They're not compatible offset-wise.

Moreover, I've got two of the Dell Canvas pens, and they both suffer from some kind of IAF connection problem; when held at a certain angle, they sometimes don't register. I got a replacement because the first one was bordering on unusable, and the second one, while much better, still sometimes farts out on contact.

I'm currently using an old Toshiba Penabled stylus, which has made drawing fun again.

Sadly, neither of these can replace an S-Pen. The sensor is placed differently and so there's a significant cursor offset.

My favorite pen for Samsung devices only has one button, but otherwise, it's a fabulous pen. The "Smardi Pen".

7. darkZ

darkZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the Smardi pen support right click natively ?

I would have wished that the wacom pro pens would work but apparently they don't unless I am missing some pairing step.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A button press can be generally be interpreted by the OS to read as a right click. With certain Samsung products and OS iterations, it can be a little more complicated, but you can get there.

If you already have a pen which works with your computer, and if it has a button, then (without knowing the specifics), I'd say you can almost definitely get the button to register a right click.

I have mine set to a hover right click. Works great.

What computer are you running?

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The Wacom Pro pens DO NOT work on Samsung or Penabled devices

10. darkZ

darkZ Pen Pal - Newbie

The issue with intercepting hardware key presses with a software layer like Radial Menu is that there's often a delay. And this is what is causing an issue when I am using Zbrush. Let me explain.

My initial unrelated issue with Zbrush and SB12 (my machine) was that when I navigate (tumble or pan) using the pen the result is very laggy. It takes a few seconds for Zbrush to catch up to my input. This is not an issue if I repeat the same with mouse instead or with a right click on the pen.

Now I use Radial Menu to emulate the right click but the issue now is say I start rotating the viewing by right clicking and moving the pen, and now I want to stop tumbling so I let go of the button on the pen, there is a 1-2 second delay until the tumbling stops. So if my hand is moving in that duration it keeps tumbling the view to undesirable angles. This makes even the right click navigation unusable.. I am on the verge of returning my SB12 as I mainly purchased this to write notes in OneNote (works great!) and some light zbrushing. I do have a main desktop I do most of my work on. Perhaps all this will be good for is for OneNote which might not be too bad, but then it is a very expensive notepad.

thatcomicsguy likes this.