(Update - IT DOES!) Potential New Pen that might work with S-pen Samsung Products.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by darkmagistric, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

Now that is interesting to me... Would it have the same calibration, you think? I have an old Axiotron pen laying around and when I was testing the Tab A and calibrated that pen, I had more noticeable offset, so that's why I ask.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Tab A S3 it should work perfect with since that uses the same S-Pen/Digitzer as the Galaxy Book.

Samsung however did change the nibs with the Note 4 Phone generation and up, which is why older tablet PC pens like the Axiotron have the offset. And they also altered the IAF....so using old pens on the new digitizer, and in reverse new pens on old digitizers can from pen to pen be a wonky experience. The Axiotron pen itself is practically useless on the the new crop of Samsung devices since not only does it have an offset, but its IAF is super high.

Some of Samsungs older tablets....Specifially on the "Note" tablet series (8, 10, & 12) was before the Digitizer change, so I'm not sure how the HP Pen will work on those older Note Tablets. But all of Samsungs "Tab" Tablets "With S-pen" were after the change so they should work fine with the HP Pen.

3. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

There's no offset with the Zbook pen. darkmagistric bought it and it worked with no offset on his Galaxy Book, which uses the same calibration as all the other Samsung pen tablets. The difference seems to lie in the nib size. The pens with no offset have noticeably shorter nibs than older pens like the Axiotron.

Edit: lol, beat by like half a second.

4. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

This is incredibly helpful information. Thank you so much! I guess my Axiotron pen has finally outlived its usefulness lol. I never knew nib size made a difference.

So to summarize for those browsing: The HP pen works with the Galaxy Tab A with S-pen, Galaxy Tab S3, Galaxy Book, and Notebooks.

DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.
  5. Morning Song

Morning Song Pen Pal - Newbie

Just another voice of confirmation, it works perfectly with my Galaxy Book 12. No offset, equal or lower IAF to the samsung pen, and an ~eraser~

And in case anyone hadn't tried yet, I just experimented and the samsung nibs work fine in it, both the gray hard nibs, and the black rubbery nibs. The samsung tips are noticeably thinner, but the "shaft" fits in just fine and holds securely.

Art_N00b, Selofain and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's now available from http://partsurfer.hp.com (just placed my order)

Selofain and Art_N00b like this.
  7. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys! Wanted to say I received mine (via chatting with a rep while it was on backorder- shipped in a couple days for about 110 USD) around the same time Morning Song did and...

This is honestly one of the best pen experiences I've ever had. Definitely worth every penny!

I had a Tab A 10.1 that I returned to try other things, including an iPad Pro. The Apple Pencil hurt my hand and gave it cramps, so off it went. The included S-pen and Staedtler with the Galaxy Book felt more natural, but honestly? I feel like I got an overall better pressure curve with my old Fujitsu tablet pc and Axiotron pen, even with the high IAF. Maybe about even.

The HP pen is the first tablet pc pen that really feels and demonstrates that 4096 some odd levels of pressure sensitivity that's been marketed lately. Maybe it's because of the low IAF, but it picks up the faintest strokes and the shift between opacity and size is gradual and fluid. It's definitely on par with Wacom's premium offerings in my opinion. I'll be posting some pen tests for you all soon, but some other info:

+ No hand cramps!
    + No offset and requires no further calibration.
    + I noticed very little parallax. I'm sure there is some, but it felt as natural to me as an Apple Pencil in this regard? I certainly didn't need a cursor, but your mileage may vary.
    + Light with a comfortable weight distribution.
    + Barrel has this smooth, light matte-like texture. It feels premium.
    + Fits in an old Intuos 2 stand if you have a pen holder laying around.
    + Eraser and side buttons!
    + Like Midnight Song said, the S-pen nibs fit perfectly in the HP pen.

- Eraser, at least for me, requires me to push down fairly hard.
    - Package didn't include any spare nibs, a remover, etc.

-/+ This is going to be dependent on what device you use the pen with, but I am not sure how to program the buttons on my Tab A. That probably won't be too much of an issue if you have a Book or Notebook.

I hope my anecdote is helpful for someone. It makes a HUGE difference with the Tab A, so, I can't imagine how great it's going to be in desktop apps. I urge you all to at least try it!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  8. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the double post, but as I promised, here are some pen tests! These are done on the Samsung Tab A:

Artflow

[​IMG]

Medibang

[​IMG]

Some things to note while looking at these:

- Any jitter here is caused by my hand, not from the styli
    - Some of the faint "incomplete" lines on the HP pen tests were lost a bit due to resizing the canvases
    - Similar looking tests that seem to have a strange "break" in them are caused by the pen not being registered because the touch applied was too light. This happened far more frequently with the S-pen.

From the tests, they look like they have similar results, but in use the HP pen definitely feels more sensitive and picks up subtle changes in pressure variation compared to the S-pen.

Art_N00b and thatcomicsguy like this.
  9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Nice! $92 base price, for those wondering. Even though removing it from a custom Zbook x2 is only $66. I'm not bitter or anything.

I'm going to hold off on ordering for now, since I am almost certainly getting a Zbook x2 and they already come with a pen. Two pens is nice, but without nib options it's pretty redundant. I have plenty of backups.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mine just arrived. Overall I'm pleased, but:

- wish the side button was a rocker
    - wish the pen was narrower
    - wish the eraser was a bit faster reacting (there's a spring, it moves, and it doesn't register as erasing until the spring is mostly compressed)

And of course, I wish Samsung would allow the use of the right-button.

Art_N00b likes this.