UP-911E Pen. Axiotron Studio Pen replacement? Maybe...

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by ron2k_1, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Completely get this. The "broken in" pens are very coveted in our studio!
    They have an almost "mushy" feel that makes my strokes feel like butter!

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Have you guys tried using the spring-loaded stroke nibs? I've found they can turn a pen that feels "hard" on the initial press, into a much smoother "mush into" feeling.

The springs also can then be further broken in, to give that "comfortable-as-old-shoes" feeling like the pressure curve has custom moulded to your natural stroke. :thumbsup:

Ahh..we are such geeks on this forum. :vbbiggrin:

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually all of my Modbook Pro Studio Pens had the spring loaded stoke nibs already inserted..wearing the pen down so it recoils more, plus the addition of a spring loaded stroke nib makes for an even more enjoyable experience.

ron2k_1 likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

I find the stroke nibs catch the edge of the pen sometimes making it sticky and unreliable. Felt tip broken in is my heaven.

ron2k_1 likes this.
  5. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

It's amazing how the term "diffrent strokes" (pun intended) apply here. To each his own.

Stroke nibs feel to wobbly/shaky for me. Trying to join 2 lines not being zoomed in (all the way) is a bit tricky for me using these.

How do you call those nibs that feel like pencil graphite? Yeah, those... They really feel like I'm writing with a pencil on sand paper. Bear in mind I use an anti glare Photodon screen protector.

Felt nibs on my screen are worst than the graphite-like nibs. These really drag. They are like brake pads on my screen.

With my chosen screen protector, hard nibs is where I'm at. Next time I change my SP, I'll try an ultra clear one and switch to the pencil graphite-like nibs or the felt nibs. I like the feel of felt nibs on naked glass screens.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hmm, this is actually pretty interesting. For some reason it never hit me that there was so much variation in personal preference for Wacom pens.

Though I guess it should be expected, as the "feel" of the stroke is determined by many factors: nib type, barrel width, screen surface texture/hardness, and stroke pressure.

I suppose I should be more specific in stating my preference:

EP121: UP-816E-70A (aka Modbook pen) pen with Stroke Nib on Steinheil Series AG NB055 screen protector (no longer produced :().

Cintiq 22HDT: Intuos Grip Pen 2nd Gen (KP501E2) with Hard Felt Nib (heavily worn in and flattened to a chisel) on Healing Shield Nanovid AG screen protector.

Both these combinations give a nice paper roughness, but the Modbook pen with stroke nib gives a smoother initial press than the Grip Pen with felt nib in my experience.

Just to note ron2k, the "sandpaper" over-friction with the felt nibs goes away after you wear it down with a few days of use. For me, I create a smoothed chisel tip that has just enough drag for a paper grain, but also retains the bounciness of the felt material (which the normal plastic nibs lack).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  7. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I suddenly feel very fortunate in being able to snag one of those Axiotron Studio Pens for $35 shipped years ago. These things really went up in price!

Your UP-911E pen looks almost identical save for the paint; my Axiotron pen's sadly kinda had the paint worn off around the edges over the years. I kept it in my pocket often, seeing as it won't fit in any pen silo known to man.

It's a nice pen, but I do wish the eraser cap felt a little less loose. There's a bit of play before it hits the load cell inside.

Also speaking of the Galaxy Note lineup, I distinctly noticed that both my Axiotron pen and my Fujitsu pen have the cursor hovering a bit behind the nib on my Note 4. It's really noticeable when you tilt it around. The stock pen, by comparison, is dead on with the nib in most of the screen, and that's rather important if you want to leverage the Note 4's added tilt sensitivity.

It's a shame, since I was looking to use my Axiotron pen on the Note 4 complete with second button and eraser, but the inaccuracy kills it.

8. ron2k_1

The Note 1 accepted other UD Wacom pens with no discernible difference.

From Note 2 onwards, Samsung in partnership with Wacom developed a supposedly new UD digitizer and only S Pens are accurate on their screens.

Surprisingly on my Note 10.1 other pens like my Carbon Feel IT pen were as accurate tho. On the phone, that's another story - up to 1/2 inch off. @stoneseeker how do other pens behave on your Note Pro?

9. stoneseeker

Only the S-pen is worth using on the NotePro 12.2, but I've only tried the modbook pro pen and the T902 pen on it. I don't have a Carbon Feel IT pen to test.

Are you saying that ALL other UD pens worked fine on your 10.1? Or just the Carbon Feel?

I don't like the S-Pen, but if I used it enough I would buy a replacement and stick it in a pen barrel to make more ergonomic.

10. ron2k_1

Hmm. Now that you mentioned it. I'm not to sure about the other pens, but positively sure the Carbon Feel wasn't any different to the the supplied S Pen in terms of accuracy on the Note 10. When I wrote this review I had already sold it so I couldn't test my lot along the UP-911E on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.