unusable tx2500, almost out of warranty

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by RonaldReagan, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonaldReagan

RonaldReagan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx2500. for minor tasks like internet browsing it hangs and becomes non responsive. the cooling fan will blast constantly and streaming video is absolutely horrible. The battery life is variable greatly depending on wheater it's a day that the cooling fan decides to constantly stay on and rev at difernet RPMs (tablet is very warm while its on).

I have the power settings on high performance and I have also done a fresh recovery to restore all of the original settings. my bios is F.08. The processor is 2.1 ghz and I have 3gb of ram. I am totally not able to stream video off of hulu, comedy central, or you tube without excessive delays and choppyness. It takes approximately 3mins to boot up if gets that far at all, it often hangs during boot up. I have two batteries. One is almost a year old and the other is two months old. The tablets reacts the same way on either battery. My net book (1.2 ghz atom processor) handles all of this fine so it's not the internet source for the video streaming problem.

I have complained to HP about the performance and after two hours on chat and hour on the phone with a customer service rep they finally agreed to let me send it in under warrenty. Reading various threads on this site makes me think I'm going to get it back from HP with "we found nothing wrong" or we replaced something and then the problem will still remain.

Any suggestions on how to get this tablet to operate like a 2.1 ghz duel core and reliablely would be greatly appreciated.

2. xaueious

xaueious Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed that my tablet throttles down under excessive heat. If you check your event viewer and see messages regarding that. I used to get really slow boots and I realized that my CPU was overheating.

Next time run speedfan and check the temps to make sure it isn't something else wrong.

3. octagonalman

octagonalman Pen Pal - Newbie

See if you can give the intake and exhaust vents a bit of a clean too. Checking the temps is a good idea and also see if task manager gives any information about processes sucking up the cycles.

4. RonaldReagan

I updated the graphics driver to an older version (strange that this was revereted on the HP site as the most recent update), updated the bios to F.0C, updated the wireless network card driver, installed vista SP2, and reveiwed my event log to find a 1 minute cycle on the virtual disk service starting and stopping. Fixed by following directions of this link (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=OS&message.id=6275). All seems really good right now, the tablet is pretty steady.... and only studders a little when streaming the daily show or the colbert report.

Thanks xaueious for turining on to the event veiwer!
    Hope this thread helps someone down the road.....

5. RonaldReagan

Just to note.... I see a trend when reading all of these posts that complain about this tablet and they are all valid by the way..... over heating really kills the performance of this tablet... the slightest this thing like the virtual disk service cycling every minute which causes a security event to follow the cycle and then over heating the processor while you need power to actually use the computer for things like internet explorer then the over heating decreases the performance of the processor while your still looking to use the computer then all this kills the battary life...... wow what a highly techincal sensitive peice of equipment this is to send out to the public.... HP is pretty brave.

My CPU temps are now around 47 C when last night prior to this they would get to 80 C with no problem and then this thing would turn into a pentium 2 while the battery drained from the fans and over heating and what ever else.....

6. Val'R Dunin

Val'R Dunin Pen Pal - Newbie

Folowing the link you posted (the fix) I get: "The Message you are trying to access has been deleted. Please update your bookmarks.":confused:

7. RonaldReagan

the link in my history does the same thing.... basicly it explans that you need to turn off automac restore point in vista by right clicking computer in the start menu, choose properties, then choose system protection, then unslect the drive that stores the automatic restore point, then it will ask you to confirm.

that worked for me hope it does for you too.

8. Val'R Dunin

Val'R Dunin Pen Pal - Newbie

ok.
    Thanks.

9. RonaldReagan

problem is back.... horrible performance, studdering/pausing video, poor battery life, high fan speeds, overheating.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.