Unsure if I should buy a cintiq companion 2 or just upgrade my PC.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by RUCKISTHERARE, Aug 26, 2016.

1. RUCKISTHERARE

RUCKISTHERARE Pen Pal - Newbie

So I have a PC that I built and it has an overstocked i5, 16 gb of ram, and a 750ti. I love it and it is my main computer but I want something to do mostly 3d work and some 2d work on the go. That is why I am leaning towards the wacom companion cintiq 2. My biggest question is will the CC2 be able to handle most 3D work, if I render on my main comp (I plan on upgrading my gpu eventually). I have a record of making bad decisions when buying laptops or tablet PC, so I'm being very careful this time. I am open to other opens of tablet PCs but don't forget that I wish to do 2D work and 3D work. Another open would be to get the 13 inch cintiq that is just a monitor for my current PC and buy a gtx1070. Let me know what you guys recommend. I will probably get the higher end model of the CC2 (i7, 256gb, 8gb of ram) since it's on sale right now, but I'm open to the i5, 128GB version.

1. What is your budget? 1,000-1,800

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Used yes, refurbished no.
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? I prefer windows, not a fan of apple products really.

1. 4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?10-21.5 in

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No, I just don't want anything that feels or performs cheap.

7. How many hours battery life do you require? Doesn't matter but let's say 6

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/WebSurfing/Drawing/WordProcessing/Entertainment/Notetaking) 3d work like maya and zbrush, also digital painting and use of the Adobe creative suite.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? Windows, and I like android devices but I prefer windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) Maya, zbrush, Adobe creative suite, 3ds max.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. To run a few games from steam would be nice, I don't need to play anything too high end.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? It would be nice, but not needed.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? HD, 1080p or 1440p

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
      Would be nice but not needed.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
      Yes

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? 8 gigs of ram, and amount of hard drive memory is flexible.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? Usbs, a microSD slot and hdmi would be nice but again not needed

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For 3d work (except ZBrush), you're much better off going with the VAIO Z Canvas because of its unparalleled processing power. It's also a better portable devices than the Companion. In the case of ZBrush, you'll probably need on an on-screen toolbar because of its reliance on keyboard-mouse combinations. N-Trig devices like the VAIO or Surface Pro disable touch when the pen is detected so achieving those pen and touch combinations can be challenging.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'd say even for zbrush, or better, moreso with zbrush since it relies entirely on the cpu. :D
    Regarding the toolbar, I guess Radial Menu should work since it worked on the surface pro 3?

4. surfaceproartist

I've received too many reports of users being unable to use ZBrush properly on NTrig tablets to give a recommendation based on cpu power alone. I don't know ZBrush well enough to be able to verify the problems or identify workarounds.

5. surfaceproartist

I found this video of ZBrush running on the Canvas and I'm reminded that the VAIO keyboard is Bluetooth, unlike the Surface Pro. So using keyboard-pen combinations don't require an on-screen toolbar or express keys.

Marty likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If his Core i5 was made around the same time as his NVidia GPU (2014), the Z Canvas won't be much of an upgrade, if at all. His desktop Core i5 (probably Haswell) is 80+W CPU. You can't stack 45W CPU in te Z Canvas up against it, especially if it's overclocked like he says.

Chances are, his current desktop CPU is more powerful than the one in the Z Canvas.

7. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I bought a second-hand Cintiq Companion Hybrid (read: 13HD touch with a beefy battery and Android tablet functionality) precisely because I was fed up with Tablet PCs having weak sauce GPU options (especially those still using Wacom EMR) and wanted something that could pair easily with a powerful computer.

Typical CCH prices on eBay seem to range around $600-750 over the past few months; they probably plummeted due to the lack of updates for the Android side of things, as it's still stuck on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean to this day. I still consider it a better alternative to the 13HD touch since it doesn't need AC power to function as a Cintiq.

If you're used to desktop-class performance like I am (i7-4770K 4.6 GHz, 32 GB DDR3-2400, GTX 980 here), then nothing short of a gaming/mobile workstation laptop packing the GTX 980 non-M or the new Pascal GPUs is going to cut it on the go. You might as well nab that GTX 1070 and enjoy the massive 3D performance boost it gives you at home.

Also note that if you run Windows 10 Professional 1607 on your desktop, you can use Remote Desktop and pen remoting from a penabled Tablet PC for RealTimeStylus API apps and still get proper pressure sensitivity and touch. Anything that uses the old Win-Tab API still needs a proper Cintiq, though, and logging in outside of the home LAN means you also get to deal with latency.