Unknown Device after Clean Windows 7 Install

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by stea1thblaze, Jan 30, 2010.

1. stea1thblaze

stea1thblaze Pen Pal - Newbie

Just opened up my new tm2 today, and have been in the process of installing everything. Installed all the appropriate drivers (including the touchpad driver for the Envy 13...), but still have an "unknown device" in device manager that I can't for the life of me identify.

The properties dialog for the unknown device doesn't help much - the best I can get is a Hardware ID "ACPI\HPQ004". Any ideas what this is?

Also, I noticed that the hard disk installed in my tm2 is a Western Digital Scorpio Black WDC WD2500BEKT...good drive, but not equipped with the free-fall sensor ("HP ProtectSmart") that HP advertised. I'll be calling up HP to complain...

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

you reinstalled? did you keep your swsetup folder?
    the unknown device could be " HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor."

3. bozo8787

bozo8787 Pen Pal - Newbie

I read something similar in the HP support forum, which mentions not having the ProtectSmart not been installed also there's a link for the driver in the 1st reply. Though it's for all types of Vista and for model dv7-1000CTO, so not sure it applies. But at least it ProtectSmart oriented as far as if the TM2 has different driver than the one mentioned, idk.
    I think it's worth a shot, you could always create a restore point or uninstall the driver if it doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. stea1thblaze

stea1thblaze Pen Pal - Newbie

Great, thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, I did do a clean install. I do have the factory image available, though, so I pulled the drivers from SwSetup as you mentioned. I guess HP has a dedicated free-fall sensor separate from the ones built in with some hard drives.

Now... would anyone know why when I rotate my screen, the pointer does not follow? That is, when I rotate, the pointer behaves in a "mirrored" fashion, in which the physical movement on the surface is mapped to the desktop on-screen.

This one boggles me...I've fished around with the Wacom driver and the Windows tablet orientations settings, but no luck.

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT* I guess a driver uninstall and reinstall solved it. D'oh!