Unexpected use of rear facing camera...

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by dceggert, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I will explain the 'unexpected' reference in a moment but I would first like to explain that I have been a TabletPC user for quite some time (about 7 years) and I did not think I would ever 'need' the rear facing camera on my new Fujitsu Q550. Over the months I have owned it I have found some good uses for it on many occasions.

I first started exploring by taking a photo of a document, pasting it into OneNote, and then using the OCR capabilities to copy text. Pretty slick. I now use it as a portable scanner on occasion.

The next use I found is to take photo evidence of issues at work (I test things for a living). I found I could snap a picture, write a summary in OneNote, save it as a pdf, then mail it to the team. This is a great feature and time saver.

But today I found a use that absolutely takes the cake! I was working in tight quarters to fix the furnace in my motorhome. Faced with the need to record the furnace s/n I was perplexed to find the tag on top of the unit between it and the cabinet it is built into. I could not read it outright, and I found my dentistry skills severely lacking using my inspection mirror, and I even tried to get it out of the cabinet but failed (they build the furnace in, then install the #?<! cabinets). I sat and tried to think, frustrated as usual.

I then thought I would try my rear camera as a literal shot in the dark. I put my trouble light where it would shine on the tag and then slid my Q550 into the gap between the furnace and the cabinet. I snapped the picture and then removed the computer to see if I could read it. To my amazement it was crystal clear! Wow, totally unexpected!

Another interesting tidbit is that if my TabletPC of choice happened to be much thicker this would not have worked. My 'like' factor of my Q550 went up another notch today!

2. playtrix

playtrix Tablet for two

Nice one! Tablets are good for a little Magyvering!

3. Mydixiwrecked00

Mydixiwrecked00 Scribbler - Standard Member

My phone has been many places my head wouldn't fit. Inside dash boards, engine compartments, under furniture... But the one I use it for the most.... The fridge. I'll take a couple pictures of the contents before I run to the grocery store. I've stopped making grocery lists a long time ago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.