undervolting the Turion Ultra

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Seketh, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

okay, got the most recent one (December 31st), and i can confirm that the program WILL run from within a folder.\

Windows Vista 32-bit OS.

2. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

Excellent work Mr. Systematic! You have answered the prayers of many tx2500z owners!

Just wondering, do you recommend increasing the P-state past the recommended defaults and would there be significant gains in heat and battery life by doing so?

If so, what do you recommend for a ZM-82?

3. Mr.Systematic

Mr.Systematic Pen Pal - Newbie

So it really works with other griffin CPUs (RM-70). That's great. If there are other experiences with RM-xx (e.g. crashes) write a PM or e-mail to me.

Just read the "usage.html", guys. Respectively in some posts of this thread are already some questions answered (and so the lowest effective voltage issue),
    Thereby I don't need to answer so many questions.:)

"usage.html" includes instructions for finding low(est) voltages for a p-state.
    But 1 thing I forgot to mention: if you have found the highest voltage that causes a freeze because of undervoltage with prime95, set the VID for this p-state some steps below (e.g. minus 2; <=>set the voltage a bit above) to operate safe (=to not freeze) on voltage fluctuations/variations.

The CPUs should tolerate individual lowest voltages (that means you have to find them for every single CPU).
    For my ZM-82 I use
    -1.05 V for p-state 0 (2200 MHz),
    -0.8 V for p-state 1 (1100 MHz),
    -0.75 V for p-state 2 (550 MHz)

4. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

Works great on my TX2500 with the RM-70. Currently testing out voltages to get my minimums.

Thanks for the tool!

1.0125V@2GHz
    0.7625V@1GHz
    0.7500V@500MHz

5. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, so p-state1 can run at the same voltage as default p-state2? Insane!

My stable settings
    - 1.038V = p-state 0
    - 0.8 V = p-state 1
    - 0.75 V = p-state 2

Have yet to test gains with battery life, but I have noticed a decrease in heat from the cpu.

6. paulds8

paulds8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, I've been watching this thread for a long while since I have the RM-70, I can confirm that it works and I'm getting the same results as ChronoReverse.

1.0125V@2GHz
    0.7625V@1GHz
    0.7500V@500MHz

What I've also done is use a program called 'exe to service' (google it) and it basically makes your program into a service which you can set as Automatic so that it starts up with the computer AND THE UNDERVOLTING CONTINUES TO WORK EVEN AFTER STANDBY & HIBERNATE!!

The only slightly annoying thing is that it keeps popping up with an 'Interactive Service Message' because the program tries to show the window which tells you what you've set your voltages to. All you have to do is click the cross in the corner though and it goes away.

Could someone perhaps tell me how to make it not show this message? Then this program would work completely silent in the background and I wouldn't even have to think about it every time I log on!

Oh and even though the 'exe to process' application is a trial, you can uninstall it and the process will remain behind doing the undervolting, even after restarts - I uninstalled it straight after creating the PumaStateCtrl Service.

I hope this helps those of you who find it tedious to keep launching it at startup, perhaps it could become an intergrated feature of the app itself??

7. paulds8

paulds8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh and guys is it just me or after installing bios F.09, your computer won't let you go all the way to full CPU?? I can't seem to get 2Ghz when on battery doing anything in High Performance?? This is annoying for when you need to use it at full you know?? Anyone know a way around this?

8. dedraks

dedraks Pen Pal - Newbie

Open the EXE to Service app.
    Right click on "PumaStateCtrlDlg" service and select "Properties".
    Click on "Log On" tab.
    Unmark "Interact with desktop".
    Click "ok".

9. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Very nice find!

ZM-80 (2.1ghz) So far stable @ the following:

1.025V@2.1GHz
    0.80V@1.05GHz
    0.7500V@525MHz

Addendum:

Stable @:

1.0125V@2.1GHz
    0.7625V@1.05GHz
    0.7500V@525MHz

It's perfect as a service. Better than if it were run as a minimize to tray app.

10. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, if you check the Windows event log, it looks like the bios is preventing full speed when on battery.

Very irritating since my tablet came with the f.09 bios and I have no way and getting full speed with battery.