undervolting the Turion Ultra

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Seketh, Oct 19, 2011.

1. dedraks

dedraks Pen Pal - Newbie

Mr.Systematic
    Can you share the source code of your great app?

2. Mr.Systematic

Mr.Systematic Pen Pal - Newbie

Later, as I wrote. And: the app is not so much great ;-)

3. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

will do that once i get my tablet back and "re-used" the program from within the folder.

seriously tho, gr8 work m8. :D

4. there148

there148 Pen Pal - Newbie

new version still not working with rm-70. error in screenshot. also attach a debug file.

Attached Files:

5. dedraks

dedraks Pen Pal - Newbie

Your app is very usefull :)
    Thanks in advance.

6. bcdechert

bcdechert Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm just not sure that all of this effort is necessary. I had previously been concerned with battery usage (longevity) when using the standard 3 profiles provided by Vista. However, you can make very detailled and specific power profiles that in effect create a dynamic processor environment that minimizes CPU speed so that fan volume is not persistent and irritating. Previously, an 8 cell battery was lasting barely 3 hours and now I am getting much closer to 4 (though still with much feature management and control). Bottom line - undervolting seems to be a hammer vs fly solution.
    Perhaps I am missing something?

7. there148

yea we can tweak the power profile but why should we. i mean unless you had planned to buy a 2ghz machine only to run it at 1ghz?

8. Mr.Systematic

Mr.Systematic Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for your debug .txt file, there148

If this was the complete output (could be that not all was flushed to the file--open the text file after PumaStateCtrl is terminated) looking into the sourcecode shows that after the processor name is read the CPU type is checked. Maybe 'skip_cpu_type_check="true" ' in XML file helps.

I do not have an RM-xx CPU so that developing for it is easy. And I don't want to buy / rent etc. some.
    Now I could do the following:
    1. upload (changing a release in sourceforge takes some minutes),
    2. post here that there is a new version
    3. you download and tell me that it still does not work and I begin at "1." again

That would annoy me (takes too much of my time) and this could result in a bunch of unneeded postings.

But I had an idea:
    If someone is e.g. highly/ really interested in getting an RM-xx or other CPU similar to ZM-xx working with PumaStateCtrl or has a runtime error, I can do an online session (compile, send .exe, test; communicating via instant messenger, perhaps view-only remote desktop etc.) with him and post THEN if it functions. This is the fastest possibility that came into my mind and I prefer to save time. Btw. compile, send .exe, test is exactly what I do at home--I develop on a PC and send the .exe to the tx2500 via network.

A second possibility would be asynchronous/non-instant messages via e-mail / private messages.

I don't want to clutter up this thread with too many of these development infos--it's hard to extract useful infos if someone has to read many postings, I know it from my own experience.

Send e.g. a Private Message within tabletpcreview forum if you are interested in such an online session/ second possibility.

If someone has another/ a better idea, tell me.

9. there148

hi Mr.Systematic

after installing windows 7 ( very good os ), i decided to try your software again whilst running in xp sp2 compatibility mode, and the software works. i can't thank you enough. the software works as promised and my voltages are reduced. i immediately saw lower temperatures and less fan activities. thanks ] you've convinced me owning an amd puma cpu wasnt a mistake afterall.

moderators should pin this thread and software. its very good!

here are some pics to confirm the software works

[​IMG]

10. folk

folk Pen Pal - Newbie

It works on my RM-70 too. (Acer notebook)

Undervolts from 0.8 to 0.75 on 500 MHz. It seems stable with default settings, maybe it could run even lover? :)

Great job!;)