undervolting the Turion Ultra

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Seketh, Oct 19, 2011.

1. ave0000

ave0000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much for writing this application. It may be my imagination, but my laptop feels cooler already.

Would you post the source code for it on Sourceforge? I am interested in seeing how it works, and maybe entertaining myself by adding minimize-to-tray support.

In a perfect world, some master programmer (better if from HP) would come to our rescue and write an all purpose, lightweight, tx2xxx app that fixed this and the QuickPlay buttons.

2. Mr.Systematic

Mr.Systematic Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I will release the whole source code in a better commented form in May. Until this date I want/ have to do other things.

To support other versions I would need to get the CPU documentation (and time to implement of course). I already looked a few minutes at amd.com for RM-70 but found nothing appropriate.

I think it would have been intelligent by AMD (HP is primarily not the one to ask in my mind--it's just one of many sellers) to have written such a program. That wouldn't have been much effort because they have direct access to the knowledge and so they probably could have sold more CPUs of that (you know so they run cooler, battery longer, less consumption, less noisy).

3. dedraks

dedraks Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Mr.Systematic. I'm using your software with my tx2510us laptop and it works fine.
    Thank's for your good software.

I question: Can you send me the sources of your software. I want to develop a similar app but I can't find how to change the p-states.

Thanks in advance.

4. Mr.Systematic

oops. It came into my my that the RM-70 passed the "supported CPU type check" within PumaStateCtrl (=same CPU family and model as Turion Ultra). This probably means that the documentation for Turion Ultra applies to it.
    But why was then a frequency of 2000 MHz calculated :confused: : according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turion_64_X2#Lion_.2865_nm_SOI.29 the max. freq of a RM-70 is 1900 MHz. Wikipedia is wrong?
    After the CPU type check the processor name string (because the frequency for p-state 0 might not be the maximum freq ) is used to determine what the maximum core frequency is and because the string differs from Turion Ultra the maximum frequency was at its initial value "0". I guess using the processor name string for the max freq is not the best choice but you can give me your CPUID processor name string (I found it nowhere for the "RM-70") anyway (in Windows: computer->properties->System->processor). It could be important for the feature of overvoltage protection.
    If the Turion Ultra docu really applies to "Turion [...] RM-xxs" it to should be a little step to support RM-xx.

Another question: if "amd overdrive version 2.1.4" works for RM-70 it also works for Turion Ultra (ZM-xx)?

5. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

6. cooyeah

cooyeah Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the software. According to the usage file, there is no effect when setting the VID higher that 64. However, I set VID=80 for my ZM82 at 550 Mhz and the power monitor tells me the voltage is 0.55V. So I think this limit does not exist. I have not tried higher value, maybe later ;)

7. micke

micke Pen Pal - Newbie

Any chance that someone could write a short "PumaStateCtrl for dummies"?

I just bought a TX2590 with the ZM-80 cpu and 32bit Vista Home Premium. Thinking of returning it, as the fan is driving me crazy. This application could make it more tolerable, thus making me keep the computer. If only I knew how to use it...

I´m a stupid end user. Reading the "usage" file gives me nothing. I tried extracting to the desktop, but the application still crashes on startup. I have no idea where to go from here.

Unless I find a way to keep the fan at the lowest setting while browsing the web, I´m gonna have to return it, and that makes me sad. I don´t need all the power that this computer has, but I do need it to be quiet.

8. Mr.Systematic

Jaah, below 0.75 V the Power Monitor shows wrong (not the voltages the CPU gets from the voltage regular) values I would say. If I set the VID to "123" for p-state "2" it shows 0.013 V. Now I hope you will not believe it really runs with this voltage. The AMD family 17 CPU does not send VID values higher than 64 to the voltage regulator.
    I want to mention another interesting thing: yesterday I found out that my laptop runs stable with prime95 with 0.8 V (and even with 0.788 V ) at 1100 MHz. Note that 0.8 V is the default voltage for half the frequency, i. e. 550 MHz. I think that's amazing. But the power saving despite was just ca. 5-6 W :( .

Please send me the content of your "PumaStateCtrl_debug.txt" file within this forum as Private Message or e-mail (should not absolutely be inserted as a forum post--this suggestion was a bad idea of me) or via sourceforge.net. I want to know why the applic. crashes, this did not happen to me with a released version. If I have no clue then I insert more debug messages.

I'm working on a new version (e.g. support to other griffin CPUs, more accurate overvoltage protection) + better description of the usage. It just works already. A little more tests and reviewing the code and revise the description and there should be a release soon.

9. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

Yay! Many thanks for your efforts =)

Once a new version comes up, it wouldn't be difficult to make a frontend to simplify voltage setting.

10. Mr.Systematic

First of all: I want to fix the crashes when the files were extracted but not to the desktop. This may be due to directory access rights? I have no other clue until I see debug messages.
    "970261", (or another one) please send me the content of debug .txt file via private message or sourceforge.net for cases when this issue happens.

I recently added new 32 and 64 bit versions that should support a wider range of AMD family 17 ("griffin") CPUs.
    Additionally the "usage" HTML file is structured in a better way and changed (better?) calculation for overvoltage protection.
    Please give feedback (with the unambiguous name , e.g. "RM-70") if it works for your CPU model or not. So I can add CPU names to the "successfully tested with" section.