undervolting the Turion Ultra

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Seketh, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Thanks for your efforts Mr. Systematic. I sent you a small donation to show my appreciation for being able to undervolt and enjoy my TX2500 w/ ZM-80 CPU.

:)

2. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

I had no problems install the program as a service, but how do I change the voltages? Does the service automatically adjust the cpu voltage? or do I need to modify PumaStateCtrl -> then start the service?

Appreciate your effort for helping out strangers, but this
    is a bit complicated for computer illiterate guys like me.

Edit: I modified the config.xml for PumaStateCtrl and it worked(RM-70). Tired it with the service and it kept failing to start.
    Using windows 7 rc1

3. Mr.Systematic

Mr.Systematic Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, at service startup and after hibernation/ stand-by

No, the service is independent from this graphical app.

You simply have to specify the voltage ID for p-states, here is a table:
    http://amd.goexchange.de/configuration_file.html#VID_explanation

Here you can see which voltages you can set (as guidance):
    http://amd.goexchange.de/index.html#default_and_undervolting_curves (lower red curve)
    Maybe you can even get lower. Ensure that the CPU runs stable when setting lower voltages

I changed the default name for the configuration file to "GriffinControl_config.xml" : I did this because so you know what is inside this file/ for which program this file is for (useful if you have many other files within the same dir)

4. there148

there148 Pen Pal - Newbie

hi

is there a way to implement setting the multiplier to a fix value like rmclock? like if a user want to run at 1.6ghz instead of 2.0ghz?

the three state of these cpus are just too limited. at 1.0ghz I cannot run most task smoothly, like hd youtube. but 2ghz is too much heat and noise to be useful. 1.6ghz would be the perfect balance. please consider adding custom multiplier values too.

5. joetheboy

joetheboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Mr Systematic, I tried your service installer but i couldnt tell if it was working or not.

I downloaded it into PumaStateCtrlx64 folder on my desktop and then I run the exe. Everything went as planned and i could see my service in services.msc. How can i tell if it is running my config file?

Thanks for your good work.

6. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

7. joetheboy

joetheboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Well reading the voltages wasnt a problem, its just the service wont start. I get "error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly" when i try manual starts. I have set it to run as admin, and compatibility with vista but no joy. I am running windows 7 by the way and the original pumastatectrl worked just fine.

Please help, Thanks.

8. fysloc

fysloc Pen Pal - Newbie

Could someone explain in detail more about P-states? im still confused about them

From what I see sofar, Pstate0 is the max voltage/freq, Pstate 2 is the min voltage/freq, but then whats Pstate1?

9. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

P1 state is the "middle", e.g., the 50% of the processor speed/hertz. It's used when u put the power options to "Balanced", or throttling the CPU around the 50% range.

10. fysloc

fysloc Pen Pal - Newbie

If Pstate 1 is the middle basically, then why is it the same frequency as Pstate 2?

Pstate 0 = 1900mhz
    Pstate 1 = 950mhz
    Pstate 2 = 950mhz

This is on athlon x2 ql-60