undervolting the Turion Ultra

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Seketh, Oct 19, 2011.

1. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

Just keep in mind that not all the CPUs are identical. Even if it works for xaueious and me that doesn't mean it'll work for you. Test. Test. Test. Be sure it's stable before committing to it.

Furthermore, make sure to test the system in normal usage as well as Prime95. That is, use it as you would with the power saving CPU frequency stepping enabled. Even if your voltages are stable at the three p-states individually doesn't mean it'll be stable when the system is actively switching between them.

To be a bit more technical, there's a bit of voltage stabilization time whenever the CPU transitions where the voltages can fluctuate slightly below and above the specified voltage. This is sometimes sufficient to introduce slight instabilities that can't be caught by Prime95.

2. amitbl

amitbl Pen Pal - Newbie

has anyone been getting a stable enough laptop under this application to withstand connecting/disconnecting of the DC power cable?

VERY ANNOYING!
    my undervolted machine is stable as long as you don't touch the power connector.
    and that is even if i don't undervolt at all. even if the program runs on default voltages and i connect/disconnect the power cable my windows might hang.

i got the tx2520ej which is ZM-80, 3Gig RAM, Vista Home-Premium 32bit.
    ofcourse, not messing with the power connector i am running stable at 1.025v at P0, 0.775v at P1, and 0.75v at P2 - which is great if i don't have a power socket around and need to squeeze off some extra battery time...
    this gives me an extra cool 35 mins of light use (8 cell), not to mention the enjoyable and unfamiliar silence...

3. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine works fine even with unplugging the power cord. That's one of things that are alleviated if you don't go too low like I was mentioning.

4. Czarny

Czarny Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, I do not own any Tablet PC but I'm using a dv5-1150ew by HP.
    I found this forum on google while looking for a tool that can help me in undervolting the Turion ultra ZM82 installed on my laptop.
    I came to this one, followed all the instructions and... voila' !
    Non I have a less hot product on my knees.
    Thanks everybody !

5. dpnow.com

dpnow.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Will Mr Systematic's utility work with a TL-60 in a tx2000?

Ian

6. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

No, but RM Clock should work fine with the TL series Turions...
    http://cpu.rightmark.org/

7. Czarny

Czarny Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a BSOD yesterday. Can udervolting be responsible for this? Or it just freezes the OS?

Thanks

8. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Undervolting can produce BSODs. While I was getting the setttings right with my laptop I never actually had the OS freeze on me, but I did go through about a dozen BSODs before I got it just right.

9. Donald1

Donald1 Pen Pal - Newbie

My laptop (with RM70 CPU) is quite stable using undervolting. I have to say that my settings are not the most aggressive as mentioned by some in this thread. I use one step as a kind of safety margin. But with or without powercord it is stable.

10. Czarny

Czarny Pen Pal - Newbie

My BSOD was really strange. I have been running my laptop for 2 weeks with new aggressive settings without any fail. After installing new ATI driver from the HP site I had the BSOD once. Then I lowered my power settings and now it's working fine. I will never know if the cause was undervolting or the new drivers (maybe both of them).