Undergrad, may be looking for a tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by daver, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhysicsMaestro

PhysicsMaestro Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,
    I recently posted at notebookreview.com about getting a laptop, and as I was searching I stumbled across the Thinkpad X61t. (Previous post is at http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=178587) I do not have any experience with a tablet, but I do think I could get some use out of it. What I like the most about it is that the screen swivels and lays flat, so that I could use it to read science articles/pdfs easily. I may use it to take notes/browse in tablet form, but I'm not sure I'll like the note taking form as I write very firm, small, and precise. What I want out of a laptop is for it to be portable with a long-life battery, and able to run the programs that I need with ease. Programs I run: (quoted from previous post)

I was pretty set with the X61t until I started reading about this "bezel" issue. How serious is it? And can it be solved with duct tape?

Anyways, to answer the faq:

1. What is your budget?
    ~1000-1500. I'd spend around ~1000 for a laptop, and maybe +500 more for a tablet.

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    I think I prefer convertible.

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Mainstream ~ 12.1. I want something to use in class, to read papers on, and to do data processing/lab work/internet/email

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    USA

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope.

6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    4+

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    Read scientific articles in pdf form easily, and to possibly take notes in class. I'm a physics/chemistry major, and write a lot of equations/graphs during class. If note-taking with this in mind is easy on a tablet, I may start doing this. I'm a little concerned though, as I write fairly small.

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows. Would prefer XP.

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    To run the programs I mentioned above, i.e., programming, presentation designing, data workup, internet/email, word processing.

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    Just chess!

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Whatever works best.

2. What resolution do you prefer?

SXGA, however I do not see this option available for X61t at lepovo.com. I do a lot of data processing with spreadsheets, and I usually have my font size pretty small anyways. I'd like whichever option gives me the most "screen realestate."

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    Indoor only

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Whichever allows me to write more precisely.

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    Whichever allows me to write more precisely.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    Would like HDD~80-100GB, RAM~1GB

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    Well, I need to install software, but I have no qualms with buying an external drive.

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    Not required.

Misc
    See my other post at http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=178587 for additional details that I might have left out.

Essentially, I'd like something that is portable, able to perform the tasks I mentioned above, and has a good battery-life. I also have a wireless keyboard/mouse (Logitech MX 1000 or whatever the one with the laser mouse is) that connects via Bluetooth. If possible, I'd like to have bluetooth connectivity with the laptop, though this isn't crucial, as I'd be using them at home anyways.

Thanks,
    Derek

2. PhysicsMaestro

Looks like it's possible to get SXGA+ for the X60t, but not the X61t. Any reason one? Any big difference between the two models? Does the X60t not have this "bezel" issue?

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

for the price, you should probably go to the fujitsu ebay store and look forthe t4220.

it will do all you ask for and should be for the price you want.

4. PhysicsMaestro

do you have a link to the fujitsu ebay store?

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. PhysicsMaestro

Hm, I don't see any T4220's on the site. I may just have to go with a new model... I guess I'll be paying for peace of mind though.

7. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i agree, the Fuji T4220 sounds like it will meet your needs. especially in the battery department. you can purchase a modular battery to stuff in the bay, thus replacing your optical drive.

it would very, very convenient as well, as you can bring your optical drive in with you to school. so if you ever need to install software, you can just swap the modular battery and optical drive on-the-go.

8. PhysicsMaestro

The only thing I'll need now is a good backpack to store everything safely and properly. Any ideas?

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i'm not sure if you have such places like Mountain Equipment Coop in the US, but this bag is similar to the one I use normally (the newer model shown is 25L, my older one is 29L). i do know of REI in the Seattle area, but I don't know if they have locations outside of Washington.

it fits my tablet (TC4400), Nalgene, clothing (like a hoodie or vest), and normal school stuff (clipboard + paper and occasional book) with ease. in the top pocket, i can carry my MP3 player + headphones and a few other things like pens/pencils and my Treo as well. within the pack, there is a secondary compartment for small things. i keep my Kensington laptop lock as well as my AC adaptor in there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.