underclocking the HD 3200

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Masterrer, Jan 10, 2009.

1. fysloc

fysloc Pen Pal - Newbie

How did you get 4 hours? I can barely even get 2 hours with mine on a 6 cell and tx2604CA (basically same except bigger ram and HDD and bluetooth) with it just sitting on the main screen doing nothing at half brightness with all wireless stuff off.

and how did you underclock?

2. koity

koity Pen Pal - Newbie

I think that's it. Just use Mr.Systematic's underclock tool and gpu clock tool to reduce power comsuption levels then tweak vista bettery and services settings. Disable the services you don't needed and turn off aero and themes. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. fysloc

fysloc Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I underclocked the gpu and still no change in battery life, getting about 1:55 on the best power option customized playing a 720p video nonstop... (it serves as a more realistic test to compensate for random usage of the laptop)

4. joetheboy

joetheboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Im using v9.4 graphics driver with graphics profile set to max battery life, windows 7 power saver profile and the great Systematic's software. I often use the laptop in the library (continious .ppt presentation viewing, odd internet accessing/youtubing, typing etc with display at 60%) and get at least 4hrs out of 8cell battery. My record is 4hrs and 30 mins (100% battery to 5%) and I think it will happily do 6+hrs if left idle.

5. darkassain

darkassain Pen Pal - Newbie

it seems that when i change dual displays it for some reason changes the read GPU speed to sort of readable speed (on windows 7 64 which is what i am ruinning) also powerstrip does actually show the inputed speed (i was able to confirm by changing the speed in the AMD tool and then reading it in Powerstrip performance profile window...
    [​IMG]

6. koity

koity Pen Pal - Newbie

It's been a while fyloc. My test was base on web surfing and word processing. Underclocking saves most when doing light work loads. :)

7. krimb1

krimb1 Pen Pal - Newbie

First all thanks to everyone on this great thread for helping us all undervolt our GPUs! I've been a long time Mac user but just got my tx2 and absolutely love it.

Just have a quick question. I'm running Windows 7 x64 with the latest Catalyst drivers The GPU Clock Tool works great. Only catch is it doesn't remember the settings after restart. Any ideas?

8. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

Theres really not much gain from doing this. The cpu will have a bigger load because the gpu is underclocked, resulting in the heat that the gpu lost.

9. koity

koity Pen Pal - Newbie

It works for me since I am only surfing in html pages and do some light word processing. I switch back up when I needed to watch youtube, flash and video. Brokenlax I think you are right in general. I tried to underclock it way down and computer ended up so slow when watching videos. The thing was heating up fast.

10. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

is there a way to set your clock rate as a default level?

I find 350 mhz perfect for gaming, browsing, oh and taking an extra 3 ' C off :D