underclocking the HD 3200

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Masterrer, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donald1

Donald1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm also curious anybody tried it and any results in respect to less heat ? Or longer battery lifetime ?

Thanks for your feedback.

2. Yianaki

Yianaki Pen Pal - Newbie

In the official HP video drivers and also the new ones from the ATI website you have ATI graphics - power play settings under advanced power options. For every configuration except High Performance I have my TX2500 set to Maximum Battery Life. My Fan's don't turn on when I have it plugged in or unplugged under normal web browsing with Firefox or with Word or similar. I have a 2400 cpu set at 5% to 100% when plugged in and 5% to 50% on battery. I undervolted it to 1.075 at 2400, .8375 at 1200, and .7625 at 600. The computer doesn't make a peep unless I look at fullscreen video or Draw in One Note when plugged in. When I am actively using One Note only when plugged in it will go to the next fan speed from silence, ok to use in a library. It never makes any noise on battery unless I am watching full screen video or playing a game.

I was really upset with this laptop even if I put the CPU at 50% it was still loud. The real goddam problem with the tx2500 is the GPU! Just leaving it completely idle with no disk activity with the video on high performance it would start up the damn fans! I am not sure what the difference in battery life is but I don't really care. I am really dumb I was fooling around with the CPU all this time and cursing the laptop when all the real heat came from the GPU!

3. koity

koity Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a way to auto switch ATI GPU clock setting? I would like to keep my clock low while taking notes but back to high when running 3d applications.

Thank you.

4. de Souza

de Souza Pen Pal - Newbie

There's one thing I can't understand... how can you underclock the GPU memory if it has no memory? As far as I know the GPU just borrows system memory for its own use - if that's the case, there's no such thing as "hey I'll use these 300mb at 100mhz and the rest at 400mhz".

But I might be talking rubbish... :)

@koity: that would be perfect.

5. joetheboy

joetheboy Pen Pal - Newbie

The graphics processor has its own voltage that it runs buy. Its true that the memory has its own voltage but the culprit for the heat is the voltage for the GPU. Apparently there is a released disassembler for tx2500 BIOS, maybe one day, we will be able to undervolt our GPUS :D

6. octagonalman

octagonalman Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought we get 64MB sideport...

7. de Souza

de Souza Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I was just asking because the OP says he set his graphics memory to 100mhz. I'm looking forward to the day we can undervolt our GPUs. :]

Hmm, maybe. Forgot to mention I'm speaking from my own experience, wich is a TX2510us. Vista says it has 320mb of dedicated video memory, but I'm pretty sure it has none.
    But since there are so many different models, some of them could have a sideport memory indeed. Anyone has more info on this?

8. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

Some models have sideport memory. Mine (TX2524ca) doesn't which is too bad:D

9. joetheboy

joetheboy Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont think sideport memory made a lot of difference at all to the graphics performance in tx2500. What is quite wierd though is that I am getting a higher graphics rating under Windows 7 than in vista (base score shot up to 4.3 from 4.0).

Anyway, chances of underclocking the sideport memory are still slim. What will be possible though is to underclock the system memory and hopefully that should affect the graphics as it depends on it. But is the result worth the decrease in overall system performance?

10. koity

koity Pen Pal - Newbie

Tried underclock to 21 engine 233 clock with my tx2524ca. It lasted about 4 hours with balance mode. It was left there with medium brightness and no wifi on 6-cell battery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.