underclocking the HD 3200

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Masterrer, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masterrer

Masterrer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone!
    I recieved my TX2590eo this week.
    Love it so far, but the system runs a bit hot and noisy compared to my previous laptop (sony vaio vgn-sz110)...

The undervolting the Turion Ultra thread healeped a lot much thanks to the contribution by Mr.Systematic and his great piece of software

But there is one other heat sorce left: the RS780M northbridge and the power hungry HD 3200 that lives inside it...

As you know neither the Catalyst Control Center nor the AMD Overdrive utility provide any options to control the clocks of the graphics chip. 3rd party utilities such as RivaTuner also do not provide any usefull features...

But not to worry! I have found this official? piece of software called AMD GPU Clock Tool, and am writing this with my gpu clocked @ 47.73Mhz core 100Mhz memory :D

Here's the link to the latest version I could find: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1128/AMD_GPU_Clock_Tool_v0.9.8.html

Let the underclocking and commenting begin!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Trouble is, the core clock reporting is wrong. Is there a program that at least reads the correct clocks? This way you would know exactly what frequency the core clock is.

How did you could go from 500mhz core clock all the way down to 47.73mhz?

3. Masterrer

The only program I found that reads the core clock correctly is AMD OverDrive

here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

sorry for the crappy MS Paint compression...

4. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

I played with clock speed a bit in the past, but as mentioned above, never got the proper clock speed to be read, so was really just guessing on what the settings really were... and now have to ask, will they clock up as well as down with that software? Curious.

good info though!

5. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Great tip, thanks.

What version of AMD Overdrive works with the Ultra? Even the version with the "No AMD CPU found" fix doesn't work for me.

What effect does this have on temperature, battery life? Anything measurable?

Any way to easily switch settings on or off?

6. dedraks

dedraks Pen Pal - Newbie

AMD GPU Clock works fine.
    The low frequences reported is because the powerplay feature.

7. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Ok,

It does work. On balanced mode, I set the memory clock to 100 mhz. Reports 12.08 as engine clock when you drop the memory to 100. Ran 3Dmark06 and got 418.

With stock clocks, I get 1614 in 3D Mark06 in balanced mode.

Also note: Memory clocks should be set in 100 mhz intervals otherwise screen goes crazy. You'll have to quickly hit restore default clocks is that happens.

Going to run PCmark05 to see if it affects 2D performance. That would give an indication if underclocking the GPU would yield improvement in battery life in normal non-gaming use..

EDIT:

PCmak05 keeps failing on me. Prolly b/c of 64bit Vista.

So I ran the WEI. Has no effect it seems on it.

Edit 2:

Ran Passmark Performancetest6.1 64bit, 2D tests...

Slightly better performance with underclocked (100 mem/12.08 engine) than stock clocks.

8. Masterrer

9. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

erm, so after underclocking the gpu, any noticeable difference? is battery life extended? or heat emission is reduced?

10. arthursantossp

arthursantossp Pen Pal - Newbie

RJH:

I had problems with AMD OverDrive too, I tried many different versions and none worked.. So one day I just reinstalled and know it works... I guess is a driver conflict, but cant tell you exact what was causing the problem...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.