Unable to start / find HP Recovery Manager for 2760p...

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Ebenezer, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Ebenezer

Ebenezer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I am a new owner of a 2760p.

The convertible was started-up at the shop and the 1st run setup was done.
    However, the wireless switch was on during this time.
    When at desktop, the wireless signal logo indicated that there were wireless networks present but did not connect to them.

Is there a possibility of the computer being connected to a wireless network if the wireless switch was in the "on" position even before we powered up the laptop?

(I've had an Acer laptop before that was wacky; even if one had conscientiously turned off the wireless before turning off the laptop, it somehow always turns on the wireless when one boots up up the computer.)

Afterall, I find it as somewhat strange for Adobe and Windows to inform of updates once at desktop with wireless still off, when the wireless was turned off before switching off the day before... Ethernet is not connected.

The fact that the wireless was on when setting up and the discovery that defragmentation was not turned off when Windows 7 should have detected the SSD has encouraged me to want to use the HP Recover Manager to restore the computer.

However, Pressing F11 during boot-up results in:

"Bootmgr is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

Attempts to locate the HP Recovery Manager, either in full or using "recovery", in the Search box after pressing the Windows logo results in nothing.

There are 3 drives, being "Local Disk", "HP Recovery" and "HP Tools". This means that HP Recovery is indeed present.
    (I have an HP TM2 and have from time to time used the HP Recovery Manager as a form of readiness exercise...)

Is there a way to locate and run the program?
    I have tried searching the web but downloads for this program are 2009 era for servers or are solutions meant for upgrades from Vista to 7 and not having 7 as the original OS...

Thank you and regards,
    Ebenezer

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe the HP recovery partition is 'broken' or not actually there (for whatever reason); The easiest thing for you to do would be to contact HP (better to do it in the AM hours of a week day as you generally get more competent people on the other end :) ) and ask them for Windows 7 x64 recovery discs for the HP 2760p (as to the version, check the COA key on the bottom of your 2760p; This may cost you $10-20. This is assuming your 2760p didn't come with recovery discs). Then when you get the discs in just use a USB DVD drive and set it on its merry way, it may take a few hours to do, so just let it sit on its own and switch out discs if necessary.

That will restore everything to factory settings at which point it will run through the initial start-up procedure, and the HP recovery section should be there and working.

Now, I am a strong advocate of 'clean/ fresh installs' of Windows, and then setting up the needed drivers and all; you will need Windows 7 instillation media [but that is readily available here LEGAL Windows 7 Download Links (Just like Vista before!!!) near the end it says "ISO Method" and you should be able to create a bookable USB drive or DVD from that disc image -just install the same x64 version of windows as the COA sticker is for and use the key to activate that install] then once you install and get the system running smooth and some software installed just use a program like Acronis to setup a recovery image that will have everything including files and programs, ready to be restored (you should even be able to create a recovery zone on the SSD itself, kinda like the HP Recovery should be; I've never done that before so you'll need to google it or ask others here)

There are other options as well, but those are the two main ones IMO

3. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

4. Ebenezer

Hi Agent 9 and peterf,

I miss the days when laptop manufacturers included the recovery CDs as part of the package...

Although some may not be fully automated (in the sense that it should auto reboot but fails too) it is still the easiest way to restore the laptop.

Even with the disappearance of DVD / CD-ROM drives and the implementation of recovery partitions and ability of creating one set of recovery disks, the recovery CDs still have a place in present day... Just take my experience with the corrupted or non-installed recovery manager!

I have asked HP on the procedure for obtaining the recovery disks...

Once I got them I'll do a test run of restoring and then finally try disk imaging after patching the OS...

I guess it is time to change from the usual practice of Using recovery CD > install antivirus > patch patch and patch > install other programs, which takes several hours of attention...

5. Ebenezer

Oh man...

Contacted HP via email and they said that since this is a US model, they are unable to provide the HP Recovery Disks and to try contacting the reseller instead. (I am not in the US...)

Tried asking for the recovery disk from reseller and they were not able to provide it.

Then tried disk management and marking the recovery partition as active, as per here: HP recovery partition, but no recovery utility? - Neowin Forums

And now the laptop is stuck at "BootMgr is missing, press Ctrl - Alt - Del"...

6. Ebenezer

Ok this is getting serious...

SD and DVD of Win 7 iso does not run on 2760p.

DVD iso does run on HP TM2.

Even a System Repair Disc fails to run.

Guess I'll have to bring it in for servicing...

7. Ebenezer

Ok here's an update to close the case:

Brought the laptop down to the service centre; they have reinstalled Windows 7.

Seperately, was also given a set of recovery CDs.

All in all it was a pleasant experience conversing with the HP staff both in person and via telephone.