UMPC's, ugh, which one?

Discussion in 'UMPC - Ultra Mobile PC' started by P8RSON, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blowfish

Blowfish Pen Pal - Newbie

Thought I'd add some content and spark some conversation.

I'm ready to pull the trigger anytime in getting an UMPC.
    Though I have a dual core notebook, I want to travel lighter. Along with the inking/TabletPC features, I need to be able to plug the UMPC into a LCD projector and do PowerPoint presentations with embedded videos and custom animated slide transistions via a third-party add-on app. The processor, RAM and graphics chipset/videoRAM, are really important to me.

So, I've been looking at the Samsung Q1 and the newer TabletKiosk i7210. The Q1 seems to be a better candidate for media/entertainment use, and the i7210 seems to be a better candidate for business use. This is what I've been gathering from various conversations with folks in the UMPC-sphere.

Actually, I was able to attend a recent TabletKiosk roadshow to get some hands-on time with the i7210. Here's a link to a bunch of photos I took:
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=421

BUT, I've always had the Asus R2H in the back of my mind and wanting to read reviews from folks with hands-on time. Justin's (PROportable.com) recent naked R2H photos and other info really has me holding off on any other UMPC's right now.

To me, the R2H is the best looking/sexiest UMPC out there (personal opinion), the built-in GPS is a major plus along with it's 4-hour battery configuration. So now I'm holding off until I hear/read more reviews about the R2H, like about how the Intel Celeron M ULV 900MHz processor and Intel 910GML graphics chipset performs with heavy media usage. I'm not expecting this to be a gamer's unit.

From Justin's photos, looks like the R2H has 256MB RAM onboard, and one can add 1GB SO-DIMM DDR2 667 RAM (replacing the stock 512MB), making the R2H the only UMPC I know of that can be config with over 1GB of RAM. This is a very significant plus.

So, can you tell I'm now leaning heavily towards the R2H?

How about you, what are you leaning towards or have bought and why?

Interested in how folks really use their UMPC's and which one works best for them and why.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I'm over on the other side of the pond in the UK and I can honestly say the ASUS R2H is getting quite a lot of fanfare and praise over here...

You hit the nail on the head with your description of this Ultra-Mobile.. Yes it is by far the sexiest looking device (if that kind of thing tickles your fancy) and has some tricks up it's sleeve in making it above the remainder.

As you, the GPS I see as a boom... Not so much in driving but more in Ordinance Survey field work.
    With the built in camera, GPS, wifi and BT, this UMPC certainly ticks most boxes for out in the open.
    The UK version is shipping with 2 x batteries, 1 x small plus 1 x large
    Also it's nice to see it's coming with sleeve case, USB DVDRW, 12V Car Charger, Mouse, Keyboard and Software too.
    That's a pretty tidy package.. all for £750 shipped.

3. mal_disposto

mal_disposto Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm under the impression that it maxes out at 768MB ... did a quick search for caracteristics and that's the stated max value.

4. Blowfish

Here are some of Justin's photos, showing the 256MB on board RAM, the 512MB RAM board stock config, and then the photo indicating it will accept a 1GB RAM board, making it 1.26GB of RAM:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps clarify. I was pleasantly surprised myself!
    Anyone know of any other UMPC's that can have over 1GB of RAM?

I was also thinking that I'd like to have 100GB for HD, or at least 80GB. But I believe that as you increase the HD capacity, you're also increasing the density of sector bits on a HD, making it more vulnerable to low level errors. I think this applies to the huge HD's out there, like 250MB+, but don't know if there's really a difference in stability between 60GB vs. 80GB vs. 100GB 1.8" HD's. From the last photo above, it looks like the 1.8" HD is fairly accessable (if you have "Justin" balls) to replace with a higher capacity HD. But then again, I understand that due to iPods, 1.8" drives are hard to get in the larger capacities.

I guess if your using an UMPC as a complement to a notebook or desktop, 60GB is plenty. Let's see, for me, I'd have: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Firefox, Mind Manager, One Note, GPS nav app with touchscreen GUI, Skype, a host of audio/visual/media apps, and misc. tabletpc enhancement apps. I guess the HD capacity left would then depend on how much music or video clips I would have on it ... but then again, it would be mainly a business based UMPC.

5. mal_disposto

mal_disposto Pen Pal - Newbie

Thx :)

I'll explain my confusion: the guys at ASUS are clever people.
    If they don't advertise the machine at more than 768MB RAM ... would it be because they don't recomend it ...?

This would create warranty issues ... ?

(quick note to Justin: thanks for the pictures, just didn't have enought time to see the details, working hours are on a 18 hours/day latelly, eheheheheh)

6. Blowfish

Justin, any thoughts about this re: any issues with up'ing the RAM to a 1GB board re: warranty or for some weird reason, processor/chipset issues?

Also, do you have a line on a 1GB RAM upgrade for the R2H?

I remember that when I was looking into a RAM upgrade for a Fujitsu 1510D convertable, that it was really expensive, I think over $250, due to the size/RAM it was using. This was prohibitive.

How many pins are used for the R2H's RAM board? 200?

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just changing tack a little but as to the concerns of hard drive size...
    You could use a ulta-small portable hard drive that feeds off the USB port for power.
    The Western Digital Portable is one I use as a mobile hard drive.
    It's 120GB and very cheap considering too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.